GW Athletic National Advisory Council Meets for the First Time
The Inaugural GW Athletics National Advisory Council met for the first time yesterday, bringing together 39 GW alumni and parents to provide leadership and direction for the Deparment of Athletics and Recreation.
Among those in attendance were GW Athletic Hall of Famer Aquil Abdullah ('04), member of the 2004 U.S. Olympic Rowing Team; former men's basketball standout Pops Mensah-Bonsu ('06), member of 2012 Great Britain Olympic Basketball Team; and GW Athletic Hall of Famer W. Russell Ramsey ('81), Chairman of the GW Board of Trustees.
Many student-athletes and administrators were also invited to the dinner, making sure that every aspect of GW Athletics was well represented.
While many parts of the dinner program focused on development plans, the members of the council also showed their spirit and excitement about Raising High the Buff & Blue.
"There's this perception that GW isn't an athletic school, and that really isn't true," said Ramsey. "It is a very athletic campus and it starts with us."
Last year's Strategic Plan stated that GW ranked 13th out of 14 Atlantic 10 schools in athletic spending, but last night's event exhibited that we do have a university that puts athletics as a priority and that there are alumni committed to help.
Now, with the GW Athletics National Advisory Council, every single one of our 450 student-athletes should be confident in GW Athletics moving towards becoming a top-tier program.
During the Q&A session, one council member asked Chairman Ramsey, "What's our definition of success?" Realistically, this question cannot be answered by just one person. So, I pose this question to every student-athlete instead: "What is your definition of success, and how will you attain it?"
TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/38576
MOST RECENT POSTS
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Sept. 28-30
- GW Athletic National Advisory Council Meets for the First Time
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Sept. 21-23
- GW Student-Athletes Tour White House, Make it Back in Time for Class
- Four GW Athletes Selected for Grassroots Leadership Team
- GW Lacrosse Redoes Psy's Gangnam Style
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Sept. 14-16
- Men's Squash's Chris Bell Competes in Nation's Triathlon
- From One Athlete to Another: GW Swimming Teams Volunteer at Nation's Triathlon