Men's Squash Visits SquashWise Over Alumni Weekend
In a weekend marked by celebration of GW Alumni returning to their college stomping grounds, GW's men's squash team put a spin on Alumni Weekend by visiting the current workplace of a squash alumnae.
The GW men's squash team spent Saturday afternoon at the Meadow Mill Athletic Club in Baltimore, Md., visiting SquashWise, a non-profit organization that encourages academic achievement and physical fitness through the instruction of squash.
The Colonials worked with 15 middle school boys and girls and introduced the youths to what a Division I squash practice entails. The SquashWise students warmed up alongside the student-athletes and then enjoyed an afternoon of instruction and games.
SquashWise was founded in 2007 by a group of squash players who wanted to use their sport in conjunction with an effort to improve the educational success of Baltimore-area
underprivileged youth. Among the founders is GW graduate Abby Markoe ('03), who was co-captain of GW's first-ever women's varsity team and reached out to her alma mater for involvement in SquashWise several years ago.
Last year, sixth-year Head Coach Wendy Lawerence hosted a group of SquashWise students for a campus tour and meet-and-greet with the Colonials' teams. The relationship between GW and SquashWise will continue with another visit to Baltimore next month by GW's women's team.
The GW squash program's road trip to Baltimore was a fitting experience on Alumni Weekend and serves as an excellent example of current student-athletes coming together with Alumni to help improve communities.
"We hope to make this an annual event with both the men's and women's teams," said Coach Lawerence.
TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/38704
MOST RECENT POSTS
- GW Lacrosse Sophomore Receives Community Service Athlete of the Month Award
- Men's Squash Visits SquashWise Over Alumni Weekend
- GW Women's Rowing Opens Fall Season at Head of the Potomac
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Sept. 28-30
- GW Athletic National Advisory Council Meets for the First Time
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Sept. 21-23
- GW Student-Athletes Tour White House, Make it Back in Time for Class
- Four GW Athletes Selected for Grassroots Leadership Team
- GW Lacrosse Redoes Psy's Gangnam Style