Men's Swimming Co-Captain Named Community Service Athlete of the Month
Men's swimming senior Stephan Franke was named GW's Community Service Athlete of the Month for October earlier this week.
The Community Service Athlete of the Month award, a distinction which started this year, goes to the student-athlete who leads by example and who most impacts the GW and Washington community through service.
"Stephan is a leader and he has done a great job of keeping the team involved in service efforts," said head coach Dan Rhinehart. "It is very important to give back, and participating in community service is a big part of what GW Athletics stands for."
A co-captain of the men's swimming team, Franke has led the Colonials' in several community service efforts so far this year and the team now leads the Department of Athletics in per capita community service hours completed.
"The Community Service Athlete of the Month award is an individual honor, but this truly is an award that goes to our entire team," Franke said. "Our team has worked diligently to form a relationship with the Washington, D.C., community and we have had a great time doing so."
Franke has been instrumental in organizing the squad's service projects, which include volunteering at Taste of DC, Walk to Defeat ALS, Trick or Treat for Service, and Students Against Sexual Assault. In addition to his efforts with his teammates, Franke also volunteers as a mentor at Francis Stevens Middle School as part of GW's partnership with College for Every Student.
"As a team our goal is to give back to the local community as much as possible," said Franke. "We have a great group of senior leaders who actively contribute and lead by example, and we are all enjoying the process."
TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-tb.cgi/40234
MOST RECENT POSTS
- Women's Rowing Concludes Fall Schedule at Head of the Occoquan
- Men's Swimming Co-Captain Named Community Service Athlete of the Month
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Oct. 26-28
- Cloutier Named to College Sports Madness A-10 All-Conference First Team
- Men's and Women's Rowing Back in Action at Princeton Chase
- Gymnastics Continues to Light The Night
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Oct. 19-21
- Student-Athletes Partner Up with Greek Life
- Women's Water Polo Volunteers with KEEN