Women's Rowing Concludes Fall Schedule at Head of the Occoquan
The GW women's rowing team concluded its fall schedule at Saturday's Head of the Occoquan on the Occoquan River in Woodbridge, Va.
The Colonials entered four boats across two races in Saturday's event with each performing well in their final fall tune-up before moving indoors for the winter months.
GW's Varsity 8 and JV 8 competed in the Collegiate Women's 8+ event, with the Varsity crew taking third place overall out of 34 boats.
The Colonials finished in 17:11.12, trailing only winner Georgetown (17:04.93) and runner-up Navy (17:07.37) while finishing 14 seconds ahead of the fourth-place Navy B boat. The JV 8 took 19th place in 18:54.73.
"It was great to get back on the water after Hurricane Sandy," said Head Coach Eric Carcich. "We finished in a tight pack of high-quality boats in the top end of the Collegiate Eights event. It was a good performance by our Varsity boat, but we have areas to improve upon. Overall, I was happy with our performance."
Both of GW's Freshmen boats finished in the top six of the 26-boat Collegiate Novice 8+ field. The Freshman 8 finished in third place overall out of 26 crews in 18:49.24, followed by the Freshman 2F boat in sixth place (20:09.86).
"I was also very pleased with the freshmen crews," said Coach Carcich. "It was a great opportunity to race as a class one last time before heading inside for the winter. We are looking forward to getting back to work and getting faster these next few months."
The Colonials open the 2013 season at the Murphy Cup Regatta in Philadelphia, Pa., on March 23.
TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-tb.cgi/40254
MOST RECENT POSTS
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Nov. 2-4
- Women's Rowing Concludes Fall Schedule at Head of the Occoquan
- Men's Swimming Co-Captain Named Community Service Athlete of the Month
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Oct. 26-28
- Cloutier Named to College Sports Madness A-10 All-Conference First Team
- Men's and Women's Rowing Back in Action at Princeton Chase
- Gymnastics Continues to Light The Night
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Oct. 19-21
- Student-Athletes Partner Up with Greek Life