Defending A-10 Champion GW Golf Picked Sixth in Preseason Poll
Atlantic 10 Golf Preseason Poll | 2012-13 Schedule | @GW_Golf
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - After claiming its first-ever Atlantic 10 Championship in 2012, the George Washington golf team was predicted to finish sixth in the Atlantic 10 preseason poll as voted on by the league's 13 head coaches.
Charlotte - whose six-year string of A-10 titles was snapped by the Colonials by two shots last spring - was selected to claim the crown with eight first-place votes. Xavier, which tied for second with Charlotte at the conference championship last season, was picked to finish second and Richmond was chosen to finish third. A-10 newcomer VCU was chosen to finish fourth and Dayton earned the fifth spot. Following the Colonials in the poll were Temple (seventh), Rhode Island (eighth), St. Bonaventure (ninth) and conference newcomer Butler (10th). Fordham (11th), La Salle (12th) and Saint Joseph's (13th) rounded out the poll.
GW took home its first-ever A-10 title last season under the direction of reigning A-10 Coach of the Year Terry Shaffer ('79) with a new 36-hole program record score of 8-under par 568. After winning the championship, GW earned the automatic bid to the NCAA Greensboro Regional, making its first trip to the NCAA Tournament East Regional since 2006 when the Colonials received an at-large bid.
GW graduated Andres Pumariega - who was named to the A-10 All-Conference Team following a second-place individual finish at last season's conference championship - along with Taylor Fuqua, Martin Liu and Brandon Rukin. The Buff and Blue return six players to this year's roster including sophomore Jack Persons, who helped GW claim the 2012 conference title as a freshman.
The 2013 Atlantic 10 Golf Championship will be held at Heron Bay Golf Club in Coral Springs, Fla., from April 26-28.
GW opens its spring slate at the Harmony Preserve Intercollegiate in Orlando, Fla., from March 4-6.
2013 A-10 Golf Predicted Order of Finish (2012 Finish)
1. Charlotte (T-2nd)
2. Xavier (T-2nd)
3. Richmond (4th)
4. VCU (4th in CAA)
5. Dayton (6th)
6. George Washington (1st)
7. Temple (10th)
8. Rhode Island (5th)
9. St. Bonaventure (11th)
10. Butler (6th in Horizon League)
11. Fordham (8th)
12. La Salle (7th)
13. Saint Joseph's (9th)
TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-tb.cgi/42833
MOST RECENT POSTS
- GW Women's Tennis Picked Seventh in A-10 Preseason Poll
- Defending A-10 Champion GW Golf Picked Sixth in Preseason Poll
- Colonials Athletics Weekend Roundup - Jan. 18-20
- Baseball's Owen Beightol and Kenny O'Brien Earn Preseason Honors
- Women's Rowing Returns from Winter Training Trip in Tampa, Florida
- GW Softball's Lenhart Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- Training Trip 2013: GW Men's & Women's Swimming's Seven-Day Stint in Puerto Rico
- #12 Women's Squash Closes Training Trip With Victory
- Men's Squash Wins Exhibition During Winter Training Trip