Training Trip 2013: GW Men's & Women's Swimming's Seven-Day Stint in Puerto Rico
While the majority of George Washington students were ringing in the New Year and enjoying the final weeks of winter break, the Colonials' men's and women's swimming teams traveled to Dorado Beach, Puerto Rico, for their annual January training trip.
Though one might think Puerto Rico means a week of fun in the sun, the Colonials used the seven days to focus on intensive training both in and out of the water. The GW swimming teams met at an off-site pool every morning from Jan. 1-8 for their in-water workouts, then met back up later in the afternoon for their dry-land sessions.
"This is our fifth year in Puerto Rico because
warm weather is most consistent for training," said 15th-year head
coach Dan Rhinehart. "This is a week of very intensive training and our
workouts are a lot more difficult than what they are used to. We are in the
water every morning and either running, lifting weights or doing ab work every
With the Colonials' last competition taking place exactly one month before the trip, they look at the week as a chance to regroup and refocus heading into 2013.
"Our winter training trip is crucial to our season because we are able to focus solely on swimming without outside distractions," said junior Jake Mortensen. "It is important that we don't relax too much over winter break because we don't want to lose all of the hard work we put in during the fall."
"The trip is a nice break up from the one-month lull between meets," said Coach Rhinehart. "This is the time where we go to work and make our big push to get ready for the Atlantic 10 Championships in February."
Following the Rhode Island Invitational last weekend, GW will compete in two more dual meets before heading to the A-10 Championships from Feb. 19-23 in Geneva, OH.
TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-tb.cgi/42483
MOST RECENT POSTS
- Women's Rowing Returns from Winter Training Trip in Tampa, Florida
- GW Softball's Lenhart Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- Training Trip 2013: GW Men's & Women's Swimming's Seven-Day Stint in Puerto Rico
- #12 Women's Squash Closes Training Trip With Victory
- Men's Squash Wins Exhibition During Winter Training Trip
- GW Volleyball Adds Transfer to Roster
- Softball's Tori Valos and Autumn Taylor Earn Preseason Honors
- GW Water Polo Honors Fallen Veterans with Wreaths Across America
- GW Softball Spends Offseason Hours in the Community