Senior Emma Gaquin has been named GW's Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month for her dedication to serving the community during the month of January.
A member of the women's swimming and diving team, Gaquin has volunteered with MEN Count, a GWU research study that focuses on HIV prevention in D.C., and Manjia, a nonprofit organization that focuses on reducing food waste and food insecurity.
Once a week, Gaquin recruits potential participants at the Southeast STD clinic for MEN Count. Working as a Research Assistant since August, she administers surveys to participants to help determine the biggest risk factors of HIV/AIDS in the D.C. community.
In January, the public health major began working with Manjia. Part of her work for the organization includes finding potential food donors, such as restaurants and catering companies, and encouraging them to sign up to use Manjia to reduce their food waste.
Sidelined by injury during the fall semester, Gaquin has used her time out of the pool to give back to the D.C. community.
"Giving back to my community means being active in my community, taking the time to meet new people, and figuring out how to make their day just a little bit better."
Gaquin's participation within the community goes further than her work with MEN Count and Manjia. She has also participated in university events, such as Move-In day, fundraised for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and volunteered at the Northeast Animal Shelter over school breaks.
In addition to her individual service projects, Gaquin has joined her teammates to serve the community by dorm-storming for Uniceff over Halloween weekend and signing up as a team for the GW Dance Marathon at the end of February.
"Community service has always been an important part of being on the Swim & Dive team. Since my freshman year, we have always set goals as a team to help out the community. I am extremely proud to be part of a program where giving back is part of the core culture."
MOST RECENT POSTS
- Gymnastics Lends a Hand at Buddy Walk
- Gymnastics Volunteers at the Race to Beat Cancer
- Men's Rowing's Hobert Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- Iman Lee Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- Mark Osis Named December Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- From The Starting Lineup To The Bench
- GW Men's Tennis Volunteers at Heart to Heart Event
- @GWXCTrack's Malone Gabor Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- GW Men's Swim & Dive and Men's Soccer Volunteer with DC Scores