The Colonials raced in two events, the Women's Four with Coxswain and the Women's Open Eight.
The George Washington
volleyball and women's soccer teams joined together for a preseason barbecue on
Saturday. For the third straight year, the squads combined for a large
dinner and some fun before classes and regular-season competition begins.
Preseason training is a crucial time when student-athletes get acclimated to campus life, rigorous training and new teammates. Team bonding is just as important during this time as physical training and skill work.
The time we have during preseason as a team is such an important piece to our start of the year," said head volleyball coach Amanda Ault. "It gives our new group a chance to gel and get to know one another before school starts up and our campus is in full swing. It's nice to have a night to come together and let both teams get away from training for a bit and recharge with their friends."
Aside from getting an opportunity to spend time with teammates outside of practice, student-athletes appreciate interacting with members of another team.
"Our team dinner with volleyball is something we all look forward to every year," said women's soccer junior MacKenzie Cowley. "It gives us a chance to engage with other GW female student-athletes in a fun environment. Team bonding is a very important part of our team's culture because building good team chemistry starts off the field."
This year's entertainment included a lip-sync battle among the student-athletes that allowed members of different teams to work in groups. Creating bonds between squads will help encourage inter-sport support during each team's competition season.
"This year's volleyball-women's soccer team dinner was the pinnacle of our annual preseason dinners," said head women's soccer coach Sarah Barnes. "The food and company were fantastic, and the lip-sync competitions were the highlight. The student-athletes were clever and funny and put a lot of creativity into it. We are looking forward to the start of our season and excited to watch and support volleyball as their team reaches new heights this year."
The Women's soccer team kicks off the regular season on Friday, Aug. 21, in Fullerton, California, against UC Riverside, and the volleyball squad travels to Ann Arbor, Michigan, for the Michigan Invitational from Aug. 28-29.
MOST RECENT POSTS
- Men's Rowing's Hobert Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- Iman Lee Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- Mark Osis Named December Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- From The Starting Lineup To The Bench
- GW Men's Tennis Volunteers at Heart to Heart Event
- @GWXCTrack's Malone Gabor Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month
- GW Men's Swim & Dive and Men's Soccer Volunteer with DC Scores
- @GWWomensSoccer's Erin Boudreau Attended Millennial Outreach and Engagement Summit at the White House
- @GWSquash's Josh Marks Named Community Service Student-Athlete of the Month