1966 ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE
Elwood Davis ('40) was a star player for the GW men's tennis team. In 1937 he was named captain of the frosh tennis squad, and attained first place ranking in the intramural tennis championship. The following year he made the varsity squad and regularly swept doubles and singles matches until he graduated. Davis was noted by The Hatchet for his "championship caliber" playing.
Davis graduated from GW Law School in '43 and served in the Navy during World War II. He worked briefly at Riggs Bank (now PNC) before starting his own law firm Reasoner & Davis in D.C. Davis served as general counsel for GW for 25 years and earned a J.D. degree at GW. Davis was president of the Greater Washington Board of Trade and worked on passage of 23rd Amendment. He also served as president of the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington. An endowment from the Davis family established the endowed professorship in the Law School.
He and his wife, Eleanor, have three children, Robert, Anne and Lynne.