1991 ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE
William O. Shreve, who died in January 1990 at the age of 84, was associated with GW men's tennis for 40 years. He was a member of the University's first men's tennis team in 1924 and later in the decade (1927-1930) coached the Colonial netters. He returned to GW following World War II at the request of Athletic Director Max Farrington, serving as men's tennis coach from 1947 until his retirement in 1964.
Shreve's teams of the '50s and `60s dominated the strong Southern Conference and the local tennis scene. Between 1956 and 1964, GW won eight conference titles in nine years, including five straight between '56-60. He worked with University officials to grant more scholarships to tennis players and then provided much time, guidance and coaching skill to insure those attending would stay and graduate. Many GW tennis graduates point to Mr. Shreve as one of the primary influences in their lives.