What is CHAMPS/Life Skills?
CHAMPS stands for CHallenging Athletes Minds for Personal Success. Through the CHAMPS/Life Skills program, GW strives to develop student-athletes holistically, so they are prepared on and off the field of play. We want to prepare them to be successful while attending GW, and for life beyond graduation.
NCAA CHAMPS/Life Skills Mission
The CHAMPS/Life Skills program was created to support the student-athlete development initiatives of NCAA member institutions and to enhance the quality of the student-athlete experience within the context of higher education.
NCAA CHAMPS/Life Skills Values Statements
- Promote student-athletes' ownership of their academic, athletic, career, personal and community responsibilities.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity and inclusion among student-athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in identifying and applying transferable skills.
- Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions and their communities for the purpose of education.
- Foster an environment that encourages student-athletes to effectively access campus resources.
- Encourage the development of character, integrity and leadership skills.
NCAA CHAMPS/Life Skills Commitment Statements
1. Commitment to Academic Excellence-To support the academic progress of the student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation. 2. Commitment to Athletic Excellence- To build philosophical foundations for the development of athletic programs that are broad-based, equitable and dedicated to the well-being of the student-athlete.
3. Commitment to Career Development- To encourage the student-athlete to develop and pursue career and life goals.
4. Commitment to Personal Development- To support the development of a well-balanced lifestyle for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, personal growth and decision-making skills.
5. Commitment to Service- To engage the student-athlete in service to his/her campus and surrounding communities.
History of the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program
In 1991, the NCAA Foundation initiated efforts to create a total development program for student-athletes. Through the collaborative efforts of the NCAA Foundation and the Division 1A Athletics Directors' Association, the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program was created. In 1994, the NCAA introduced the CHAMPS/Life Skills program to all NCAA members. In 2009, The George Washington University joined the NCAA CHAMPS/Life Skills program.