The Special Assistance Fund assists student-athletes who are Pell eligible or are receiving an athletics award and have unmet financial need. The six types of expenses for which student-athletes may receive funding include:
- Cost of clothing, shoes, one trip home and other essential expenses (not entertainment) up to $500,
- Purchase of expendable academic course supplies (i.e., notebooks, pens) and cost of rental of nonexpendable supplies (e.g. computer equipment and cameras) that are required of all students enrolled in a class.
- Medical and dental costs not covered by another insurance program.
- Off-campus psychological counseling.
- Hearing aids or vision therapy (e.g., contact lenses, eyeglasses).
Student-athletes receiving a Pell Grant will be notified by the Compliance Office when to apply for such funding however all other student-athletes should review the attached Department guidelines and speak with the Compliance Office directly if they feel they may be eligible for some funding.