Baseball Takes Two Days To Lose First Game, 5-1, In 15 Chances

May 16, 2004

Final Stats

PITTSBURGH, PA - It took two days to finish the game that ended the Colonials longest-ever 14 game winning streak. After rain suspended play from Saturday to Sunday, GW lost 5-1 to Duquesne in game one of a doubleheader. Freshman Anthony Smith pitched on both days and picked up the loss after the Dukes scored four runs in the third inning which was the point at which the game resumed on Sunday.

On Saturday, Duquesne took a 1-0 lead with a first inning run. Smith had to get four outs, including three strikeouts in the first inning to retire the side. Smith allowed a run, which was later ruled unearned, after striking out three batters in the inning. Smith had already recorded two strikeouts and a fielder's choice before Steve Maiolo's single gave the Dukes their first run of the game.

With two runners on and no outs, the game was halted for about 24 hours with Matt Owens at the plate. Owens' 1-2 count hung without resolve until the game resumed again on Sunday at 1:00 pm. Owen's would strike out and Duquesne's pitcher Travis Rife also retired the next two batters to get out of a jam.

Duquesne made a pitching switch between Saturday and Sunday going from Saturday's starter, Scott Chisholm, to Rife who pitched the final five innings and earned his first win. The Colonials on the other hand stayed with Anthony Smith who pitched the first two innings Saturday before the rain set in. Smith was noticeably fatigued on Sunday as he struggled to get just one out on Sunday while giving up four runs in the third inning.

GW's downfall came in the form of walks with the bases loaded of which they had three all in the third inning. Smith gave up a leadoff single in the third to the leadoff hitter and then walked the number two man, Luke Taggart. After getting a fly out that moved the runners over, Smith intentionally walked cleanup hitter Maiolo to load the bases and set up an inning ending double play opportunity. The Colonials would get their double play but only after Maiolo and three others scored.



After Maiolo's walk, Smith walked in Dan Schwartzbauer after issuing a free pass to Andy Gallina with the bases loaded. Jonathan Kelly then hit an RBI single scoring Taggart before Smith walked in Maiolo on anther bases loaded walk this time to Joe Berletic. The Colonials then called on the bullpen and Avi Rasowsky who forced in another run when he walked the first batter he faced, pinch hitter Mike Grecco. Finally, the Colonials nightmare ended when Rasowsky got Bill Swart to ground into an inning ending double play.

Despite a shaky first batter, Rasowsky rolled the rest of the way allowing no runs of his own over the three and two thirds innings he pitched. He allowed only four hits while walking and striking out one. Unfortunately the Colonials bats were unusually silent. GW had only three hits on the day although they had 11 base runners after walking eight times. Only one of these runners, senior Jeff Fertitta would score. Fertitta, who missed his graduation from George Washington, did get to walk in the fourth and sixth innings of Sunday's game. He scored in the fourth on an RBI single from Geoff Milsom who led GW with two hits in back-to-back innings. Milsom had a double on Saturday to leadoff the third and then waited a day to collect his second hit of the game in the fourth inning to drive in GW's lone run.

More Headlines