Inside the Numbers - A Look at the 2013 GW Baseball Season
An In-Depth Look at the Statistical Accomplishments of the 2013 Colonials
June 19, 2013
On the surface, the accomplishments of the 2013 George Washington baseball team are clear. After being picked to finish 15th in the Atlantic 10 Preseason Poll, the Colonials, under the direction of first-year head coach Gregg Ritchie and his staff, responded by winning 15 league games and finishing fifth overall in the regular-season standings.
The Colonials won nine of their last 10 conference games to earn the No. 5 seed in the Atlantic 10 Championship, returning to the postseason for the first time since 2006. At the tournament, the team upset No. 3 seed Rhode Island before falling to No. 1 seed and eventual champion Saint Louis in the bracket's final four.
Overall, the season was truly a success. However, a closer look at the statistics illustrates just how impressive the 2013 campaign was.
2013 George Washington Baseball Accomplishments
- Won 15 A-10 games - a nine-game improvement from last season
- Won nine of last 10 conference games to earn the No. 5 seed in the Atlantic 10 Championship
- Made first Atlantic 10 Championship tournament appearance and and earned first victory at the Championship since 2006
- Fourth team in A-10 history (since 1979) to make conference tournament without a first or second-team All-Conference selection
- Finished 2nd in the A-10 and 17th in Division I with 108 stolen bases, 61 more than last season and the most by a Colonials' squad since 2005
- GW's 238 regular season strikeouts against ranked 3rd fewest overall in Division I and 1st overall in Atlantic 10, while the Colonials' 4.1 strikeouts/game against ranked 1st in Division I
Atlantic 10 Ranks (Conference Games Only)
|Atlantic 10 Record||15-9||6-18||--|
|Team Batting||7th - .274||13th - .222||+23%|
|Team Pitching||5th - 3.13 ERA||12th - 4.51||-30%|
|Team Fielding||6th - .968||11th - .963||+0.5|
|Stolen Bases||1st - 55||7th - 21||+162%|
|Runs||9th - 104||13th - 70||+48%|
|Hits||10th - 215||13th - 174||+23%|
|Strikeouts Against||1st - 106||13th - 183||-42.7%|
|Walks||11th - 67||7th- 76||-12%|
National Rankings (Team, out of 296)
17th in Stolen Bases
20th in Stolen Bases per game
161st in strikeout-to-walk-ratio
114th in walks allowed per nine innings
3rd in strikeouts against
1st in strikeouts per game
Pitching Staff Accomplishments
2nd fewest hits in conference games
3rd fewest runs in conference games
Staff led A-10 in shutouts (5), including three by a 1-0 score
GW Pitching Staff A-10 ERA of 3.13 ranked fifth in the league (1.44 runs lower than 2012)
Lowest number of walks since 2003
Lowest staff ERA since 2004
153 less walks/hit batters/wild pitches compared with 2012; a 37% reduction
Returning players increased batting average by an average of 23%
K-to-BB ratio: 1.55-to-1 (238 strikeouts, 154 walks); best ratio since 2001
26 more total runs vs. 2012, 11.3% increase
129% increase in stolen bases (47 in 2012 -> 108 in 2013)
- entered season as a career .232 hitter and batted .300 in 2013
- set career-highs in runs, hits, doubles, RBIs, total bases, slugging %, walks and stolen bases
- had never had more than 31 hits in a season before tallying 63 as a senior
- entered season a career .242 hitter and batted batted .279 this year
- set career-highs in runs, hits, RBIs, total bases and stolen bases
- improved batting average, runs, hits, doubles, RBIs and slugging %
- improved batting average by .030 points from freshman to sophomore season
- set career-highs in runs, hits, triples, home runs, RBIs, total bases, walks and steals
- entered season as career .151 hitter and batted .261
- improved batting average from sophomore to junior season by .107
- established new career-highs in runs, hits, doubles, triples, RBIs, total bases, walks, slugging % and on-base %
- 2nd most saves (10) among all relievers in Atlantic 10
- 2nd most appearances among all pitchers in Atlantic 10
- entered season with career ERA of 7.15, and this season went 3-2, with a 3.41 ERA, 10 Saves, and 31 K against just 8 BB
- 3-0 record, 2.19 ERA in 11 conference appearances
- 2-7, 3.56 ERA, 50 K, 42 BB as a sophomore; this season tallied a 6-4, 3.32 ERA, 53 K, 22 BB pitching line
- Tied for 2nd in complete games in the Atlantic 10
Atlantic 10 Player of the Week
Justin Albright - April 22 - .667 (12-of-18), five doubles, four runs, four RBIs, 5-for-6 SB, .944 SLG, 0 K
Justin Albright - May 6 - .476 (10-of-21), two doubles, two RBIs, two walks, 3-for-4 SB, .577 OBP
Baseball's Osis & XC/Track's DiBiasio to Lead SAAC in 2017-18
Last spring, George Washington baseball senior Mark Osis was elected to serve as the 2017-18 President of GW's Student-Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC). He...
Ritchie Continues Involvement with USA Baseball Throughout Summer
George Washington baseball head coach Gregg Ritchie has been busy in his various roles with USA Baseball throughout the summer.
20th Annual Baseball Golf Outing Set for October 20
WASHINGTON - The 20th Annual George Washington Baseball Golf Outing will be held on Friday, October 20, at the Country Club at Woodmore.
Baseball Summer League Check In
Collegiate leagues are heading down the home stretch and it is time to check in on various George Washington baseball players that are competing around the...
Raise High 'Cast: Gregg Ritchie and Jennifer Rizzotti
Ritchie and Rizzotti discuss their extensive experience working with US National Teams
Draft Day Revelations: A Discussion with Bartosic & Muhl
George Washington baseball alums Joey Bartosic and Eddie Muhl were both selected within hours of each other in the 2017 MLB First Year Player Draft earlier...
Extended Agreement With Arlington County Paves Way for Barcroft Park Expansion
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation is pleased to announce that the Arlington County Board has approved the construction ...
Baseball Trio Named to ABCA All-East Region Team
WASHINGTON - Recent George Washington baseball graduate Bobby Campbell, along with rising-junior Will Kobos and rising-sophomore Elliott Raimo were all...