GW Men's Hoops Edged by Temple, 55-53, in Final Minutes

Isaiah Armwood had 13 points and nine rebounds to lead GW in Wednesday's 55-53 loss to Temple at the Charles E. Smith Center.

Jan. 16, 2013

Box Score | Box Score Get Acrobat Reader | Photo Gallery  | coverage: Highlights | Post-Game | Full Game Replay

WASHINGTON - The George Washington men's basketball team led Temple for 38 minutes on Wednesday, but the Owls closed on a 10-0 run to defeat the Colonials, 55-53, at the Charles E. Smith Center.

The loss snapped GW's (7-9, 1-2 A-10) four-game home win streak and marked only its second loss this season when holding an opponent under 60 points (6-2) and when leading with less than five minutes to play (7-2).

Isaiah Armwood narrowly missed his sixth double-double of the season with 13 points and game-high nine rebounds. Seniors Bryan Bynes and Dwayne Smith both scored nine points off the bench, and freshman Patricio Garino chipped in eight.

Similar to last year's 79-72 loss at Temple, GW built a sizable cushion in the first half and maintained a lead deep into the second half, but went cold after the under-8 media timeout and Temple (12-4, 2-1 A-10) took advantage.

Armwood converted a reverse layin on an assist from freshman Kevin Larsen to give the Colonials a 53-45 lead with 7:53 to play. However, GW failed to score after that point, going 0-for-11 from the floor and 0-for-3 at the foul line to leave the door open for Temple.

Owls forward Jake O'Brien, who finished with 10 points, responded with consecutive jumpshots, including a three-pointer, to make it a one-possession game with 5:56 left and spark TU's late rally.

Khalif Wyatt, who led all players with 18 points on 5-of-18 shooting, trimmed the margin to 53-52 with 4:22 remaining, then gave Temple its first lead of the night at 54-53 on a pair of free throws with 2:03 left. The Colonials missed a pair of three-point attempts for the lead, then Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson made 1-of-2 free throws to give the Owls a two-point advantage, 55-53, with 30.4 seconds to play.

GW called timeout with 11.5 seconds left after its initial offensive set stalled. Out of the stoppage, Bynes' last-second left-side drive rolled off the front iron and Smith's putback attempt hit too hard off the backboard and rim to send the Colonials to their sixth straight loss to the Owls.

The Colonials led 28-18 at halftime after limiting the Owls to 31.8 percent (7-22) shooting, including a 1-of-9 effort behind the arc. TU made 13-of-27 shots in the second half to finish at 40.8 percent (20-49) on the night, while GW cooled to 8-of-23 and closed at 38 percent (19-50).

GW next plays at Massachusetts on Saturday at 4:00 p.m., and the contest can be heard live on, and 1500/820 AM. Fans and alumni in the Boston area are encouraged to get on the bus and Raise High with a traveling tailgate originating in Brookline, Mass., at 1:30 p.m., and making a pick-up in Weston before continuing to Amherst. Click here for more details.