GW 81, Dayton 67
Feb. 8, 2006
Men's Basketball 2005-06 Game Notes
2-8-06, vs. Dayton (Washington, DC; Smith Center)
Final Score: GW 81, Dayton 67
- With its victory over Dayton, GW matches the best start in the 89-season history of the program at 19-1. (The Colonials began the 1953-54 season 19-1)
- GW extended its home winning streak to 12 games.
- After Dayton made a 3-pointer on its opening possession of the game, GW went on a 14-0 run over a 3:58 period. It was the Flyers only lead of the game.
- GW's victory over Dayton is its 11th straight. The longest winning streak in program history is 14 games (1935-36).
- GW's win over Dayton marks its fourth straight in the series, which dates back to 1996. The Colonials longest winning streak in the series is five games.
- GW made 3-pointers on four consecutive field goals during a four-minute span in the first half, with each coming from a different player.
- Six Colonials hit at least one 3-pointer in the first half. GW hit seven overall in the half.
- GW went on a 13-2 run over the final 3:46 to close out the first half.
- GW had two players (Pinnock 21, Mensah-Bonsu 20) score at least 20 points in the same game for the first time this season and for the first time since 12/5/04 vs. Maryland in the BB&T Classic (T.J. Thompson 27, Pinnock 22).
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu has made 15 of his last 20 field goal attempts. He also scored 20 or more points for the second time this season and for the 11th time in his career.
- In his last five games, senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu is averaging 18.6 ppg and 8.4 rpg.
- Junior Danilo Pinnock's 21-point effort marked his fourth 20-point game of the season and the ninth in his career. He has scored in double figures in all but three games this season.
- Junior Regis Koundjia matched his season high in points with nine.
Watanabe Named Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - After turning in one of the finest defensive seasons in school history, senior guard Yuta Watanabe highlighted GW men's basketball's...
Men's Basketball Hands Out Awards at Team Banquet
In addition to everything he does for the team defensively, Watanabe has turned in his finest season offensively, leading the team in scoring, three-point...
Men's Basketball Falls Short at Dayton, 88-78
DAYTON, Ohio -- On Saturday afternoon at UD Arena, the GW men’s basketball team and Dayton Flyers entered their matchup with identical conference...
A Fitting End
Yuta Watanabe figured he’d shed a few tears on Senior Night, but the GW guard believed he’d be able to fend them off until the postgame locker...
Watanabe Makes Senior Night His Night in GW Win
WASHINGTON -- It was Senior Night on Wednesday at the Charles E. Smith Center and with all due respect to grad transfers Patrick Steeves and Bo Zeigler,...
United by Hoops
Visitors to the on-campus apartment shared by GW seniors Jack Granger, Patrick Steeves, Yuta Watanabe and Bo Zeigler, are greeted by the Stars and Stripes...
Men's Basketball Falls at Saint Louis, 62-53
SAINT LOUIS -- After finding its footing offensively in a recent five-game stretch that had produced four victories and an average of 82.2 points per game,...
Men's Basketball Visits Saint Louis
TIPPING OFF: The streaking GW men’s basketball team looks to continue its hot streak as it heads on the road for a Saturday evening contest at Saint...