GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Maurice Joseph took a glance at the box score in his hand and cracked a grin.
Of course, the GW head coach was pleased with Yuta Watanabe’s career-hig...
Men's Basketball Runs Away From La Salle, 80-69
WASHINGTON -- The GW men's basketball team closed a three-game homestand on Wednesday night on a high note with a thorough, 80-69, win against visiting La...
Men's Basketball Closes Homestand vs. La Salle
GW closes a three-game homestand on Wednesday as the La Salle Explorers visit for a 7 p.m. tip with the game set to be televised regionally on NBC Sports...
Men's Basketball Falls to Davidson on Homecoming
WASHINGTON -- A near capacity crowd turned out for Homecoming at the Charles E. Smith Center on Saturday afternoon and was treated to an appearance by new...
Men's Basketball Set for Homecoming vs. Davidson
GW men’s basketball looks to snap out of a January funk as the calendar has flipped to February, with the Colonials hoping to end a three-game skid as ...
Men's Basketball Drops Close One to Duquesne, 75-73
Looking for a spark with a new look starting line-up, GW men’s basketball took the floor with freshman Justin Mazzulla making his first career start...
Men's Basketball Returns Home to Host Duquesne Wednesday
TIPPING OFF: After playing five of its last seven on the road, including games against each of the top five teams in the Atlantic 10 standings, GW returns...
Men's Basketball Falls at St. Bonaventure
ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y. -- The road slate for GW men's basketball in the month of January came to a merciful end on Saturday afternoon at Saint Bonaventure....