GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Men's Basketball Falls at VCU, 85-55
Looking to ride some momentum after a big second half rally in an eventual loss to Richmond in their last game, the GW men's basketball team traveled to VCU ...
Men’s Basketball Visits VCU on Wednesday
The GW men’s basketball team will look to get back to its winning ways on the road as it visits VCU on Wednesday for a nationally-televised game on...
Men's Basketball Beat By Richmond, 77-70
Despite a valiant comeback attempt in which the GW men's basketball team cut a 23-point second half deficit to four, the Colonials ultimately succumbed to...
Men's Basketball Hosts Richmond on Sunday
After winning its A-10 home opener over Davidson on Thursday, the GW men’s basketball team looks to make it two in a row as the Richmond Spiders visit ...
Men's Basketball Secures A-10 Home Opener vs. Davidson, 73-69
In its first home game since December 15th, GW men's basketball ran its home winning streak to four and improved to 7-1 overall at home with a 73-69 victory ...
Men's Basketball Returns Home to Host Davidson on Thursday
The GW men's basketball team returns home to the Charles E. Smith Center for the first time in three weeks as it plays host to conference foe Davidson on...
Men's Basketball Falls in A-10 Opener at Saint Joseph's, 68-63
After compiling an 8-5 mark in non-conference action, the George Washington men's basketball team began conference play in Philadelphia on Friday night, but ...
Basketball Enters League Play with Optimism
The GW men’s and women’s basketball programs find themselves in similar positions as the New Year approaches and conference play is set to begin.