GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Watanabe Named Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - After turning in one of the finest defensive seasons in school history, senior guard Yuta Watanabe highlighted GW men's basketball's...
Men's Basketball Hands Out Awards at Team Banquet
In addition to everything he does for the team defensively, Watanabe has turned in his finest season offensively, leading the team in scoring, three-point...
Men's Basketball Falls Short at Dayton, 88-78
DAYTON, Ohio -- On Saturday afternoon at UD Arena, the GW men’s basketball team and Dayton Flyers entered their matchup with identical conference...
A Fitting End
Yuta Watanabe figured he’d shed a few tears on Senior Night, but the GW guard believed he’d be able to fend them off until the postgame locker...
Watanabe Makes Senior Night His Night in GW Win
WASHINGTON -- It was Senior Night on Wednesday at the Charles E. Smith Center and with all due respect to grad transfers Patrick Steeves and Bo Zeigler,...
United by Hoops
Visitors to the on-campus apartment shared by GW seniors Jack Granger, Patrick Steeves, Yuta Watanabe and Bo Zeigler, are greeted by the Stars and Stripes...
Men's Basketball Falls at Saint Louis, 62-53
SAINT LOUIS -- After finding its footing offensively in a recent five-game stretch that had produced four victories and an average of 82.2 points per game,...
Men's Basketball Visits Saint Louis
TIPPING OFF: The streaking GW men’s basketball team looks to continue its hot streak as it heads on the road for a Saturday evening contest at Saint...