GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Men's Basketball Topples Toledo in CBI, 73-69
Shooting for its 20th win of the season in a first round CBI matchup against the Toledo Rockets on Wednesday night, GW men's basketball found its mark and...
Men’s Basketball Plays Host to Toledo in CBI
TIPPING OFF: The GW men’s basketball team is set to appear in the College Basketball Invitational for the second time as it plays host to Toledo in the...
Men's Basketball to Host Toledo Wednesday in CBI
The GW men’s basketball team has accepted an invitation to play in the College Basketball Invitational and will host a first round game against Toledo ...
Men's Basketball Falls in Heartbreaker, 70-67
Inbounding under Richmond's bucket trailing by one, 68-67, with :05 on the clock, GW men's basketball had an opportunity to avenge a pair of losses at the ...
Men's Basketball Withstands Saint Louis to Advance to A-10 Quarterfinals
Watanabe led all scorers with 18 points on 8-of-17 shooting, while Roland's 10 came on a 4-of-6 effort in 19 total minutes. Tyler Cavanaugh had a game high...
Men's Basketball Opens Play in A-10 Tournament on Thursday
After closing the season in style with a home win over Dayton on Senior Night, the GW men’s basketball team is set to begin its pursuit of the 2017...
Cavanaugh, Watanabe, Steeves Earn All-Conference Honors
Three members of the George Washington men’s basketball team earned accolades for their performances on and off the court as the Atlantic 10 released...
Cavanaugh Named A-10 Player of the Week
Tyler Cavanaugh has been named the A-10 Player of the Week after leading the GW men's basketball team to a pair of impressive wins at Fordham and over...