GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Men's Basketball Falls at Davidson, 74-63
After shutting down one of the nation's premier scoring duos in St. Bonaventure's Jaylen Adams and Matt Mobley last Saturday, the GW men's basketball team...
Men's Basketball Starts Road Swing at Davidson
The GW men’s basketball team sets out for a two-game road trip this week as it visits the Davidson Wildcats on Wednesday at 7pm in a game that will be ...
Cavanaugh Named A-10 Co-Player of the Week
George Washington men's basketball forward Tyler Cavanaugh has been named the Atlantic 10 Co-Player of the Week, the league announced Monday.
Men's Basketball Bounces Back vs. Bonnies
On the heels of a heartbreaker against conference front-runner VCU on Wednesday night, the GW men's basketball team needed to bounce quickly with Saint...
Men's Basketball Hosts St. Bonaventure for Homecoming on Saturday
As part of Homecoming Weekend, the GW men’s basketball team plays host to St. Bonaventure on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. in a nationally-televised game on...
Men's Basketball Stunned by VCU, 54-53
Yuta Watanabe and GW men's basketball were denied what would have been a game-winning three-pointer with .4 seconds on the clock after a foul was called on...
Men's Basketball to Whiteout VCU
The GW men’s basketball team looks to get back in the win column in front of its home fans on Wednesday evening vs. VCU in the Charles E. Smith Center,...
Men's Basketball Falls at Richmond, 84-75
On Saturday afternoon at Richmond's Robins Center, the George Washington men's basketball team battled back again and again over the game's final 20 minutes,...