GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Men's Basketball Flies by Howard, 84-75
Sparked by the aerial theatrics of Bo Ziegler, who twice converted alley-oops straight from a baseline inbounds pass, the GW men’s basketball team...
Chronicling the pursuit of just the fourth-ever Japanese born player to play Division 1 college basketball, as he strives for his dream to play in the NBA...
Men's Basketball Signs Three to Letters of Intent
WASHINGTON – GW men’s basketball head coach Maurice Joseph announced on Thursday the signing of Shandon Brown, Marcus Littles and Mezie Offurum...
Why I Chose GW
The recruiting process was quite the wake-up call.
I encountered people that I quickly found out only wanted me because of my ability to put a ball in a...
Bolden Ready for Bigger Role as GW Opens Season Friday
Sometime in the countdown to Friday’s season opener against Howard, George Washington head coach Maurice Joseph will pull Jair Bolden aside. “Blu...
Cavanaugh Makes NBA Debut with Atlanta Hawks
Former GW men’s basketball star Tyler Cavanaugh made his NBA debut on Sunday as the Atlanta Hawks took a 117-115 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Men's Basketball Handles Fairmont State in Exhibition, 86-63
In a billing that pitted GW freshman guard Justin Mazzulla against his older brother Joe in his coaching debut for Fairmont State, the little brother saw his...
Mazzullas to Clash as Colonials Host Fighting Falcons on Saturday
Justin Mazzulla is a morning person. Not that he didn't need a little help to get there.