GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Men's Basketball Falls to Penn State, 74-68
GW saw Penn State erase its halftime deficit in the early minutes out of the locker room, as Penn State surged ahead with a 13-2 run to open the frame. The...
Men's Basketball Hosts Penn State in Saturday Matinee
TIPPING OFF: The George Washington men’s basketball team continues a difficult stretch of non-conference action as it welcomes the Big Ten’s Penn...
Men's Basketball Can't Complete Comeback vs. UAB
KANSAS CITY -- In a hard fought battle in the consolation game of the College Basketball Experience Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City, the GW men's...
Men's Basketball Falls to Georgia in CBE Classic
At the College Basketball Experience Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City, the GW men's basketball team dropped its first contest of the season in a tightly-c...
Men's Basketball Faces Georgia in CBE Classic on Monday
After opening play in the College Basketball Experience Hall of Fame Classic with home wins over Siena and Arkansas-Pine Bluff, the Colonials head to Kansas ...
Men's Basketball Runs Record to 3-0 With Victory Over UAPB
In improving to 3-0 on the young season, the GW men's basketball team took care of business against the Golden Lions of Arkansas Pine-Bluff with a runaway...
Men's Basketball Looks For Third Straight Win vs. UAPB
Just 48 hours after opening play in the CBE Hall of Fame Classic with a 77-75 win over Siena, the GW men’s basketball team returns to action on...
Men's Basketball Tops Siena, 77-75
In a thriller at the Charles E. Smith Center on Tuesday night, after 14 lead changes and four ties, the George Washington men's basketball team came away...