GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Watanabe Hard at Work Preparing for Senior Season
After the GW men’s basketball team’s season ended in March, junior Yuta Watanabe had an important decision to make.
Raise High 'Cast: Patricio Garino
On episode two of the Raise High 'Cast, the official podcast of GW Athletics, former GW star Patricio Garino joins David Earl to talk about a whirlwind past ...
Men's Basketball Signs Javier Langarica
The GW men’s basketball program looks to further a long history of success with international players with the signing of Javier Langarica, a 6-foot-9 ...
Catching up with Tyler Cavanaugh
In the past seven weeks, Tyler Cavanaugh has completed pre-draft workouts with 13 NBA teams as the former GW star looks to begin his path towards making an...
Men’s Basketball to Begin Home-and-Home with Princeton
WASHINGTON -- The George Washington men’s basketball team has agreed to a home-and-home series with Princeton University.
Raise High 'Cast: Maurice Joseph
On the first edition of the Raise High Cast, the official podcast of GW Athletics, host David Earl is joined by men's basketball coach Maurice Joseph. The...
A-10 Releases Men’s Basketball Matchups for 2017-18
The Atlantic 10 on Wednesday announced the schedule pairings for the 2017-18 men’s basketball season, and GW will play eight games against teams that...
Armel Potter Signs with Men’s Basketball
The GW men’s basketball team has added a highly-coveted guard in the form of transfer Armel Potter, who averaged 13.3 points in two seasons at...