GW 88, UNC Wilmington 85 (OT)
March 17, 2006
GW-UNC Wilmington Game Notes
NCAA Tournament First Round - Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
March 16, 2006
- This marks GW's ninth all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. It now has an overall record of 4-8 and is now 3-6 in first round games.
- GW's last victory in the NCAA Tournament was in 1994 when the No. 10 seed Colonials defeated No. 7 seed UAB, 51-46 in Uniondale, NY.
- GW's No. 8 seed is the highest seed the Colonials have ever received in the NCAA Tournament. Its previous high was a No. 9 seed in 1998.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was in the starting lineup for the first time since GW's Feb. 22 game against La Salle at Smith Center.
- Senior Mike Hall scored 13 points to move into 24th place on the GW career scoring list with 1,203 points.
- Junior Regis Koundjia took a pair of charges in the first half on the defensive end.
- Sophomore Maureece Rice nearly tripled his career scoring total for the NCAA Tournament (4 pts. vs. Ga. Tech, 3/18/05) in the first half with 11 points. He finished the game with a team-high 20 points.
- GW went on a 19-0 run between 10:52 to 6:56 in the second half which began with back-to-back 3-pointers from junior Carl Elliott. Junior Danilo Pinnock's basket gave the Colonials their first lead of the second half, 65-64, at 6:56.
- GW went 16-for-22 (72.7%) from the free throw line and started the game 12-for-12. In its last NCAA Tournament game against Georgia Tech in the first round in 2005, GW shot 4-for-16 (25.0%) from the free throw line.
- Rice had his third 20+ point scoring game of the season.
- GW had six players score in double-figures for the first time this season and for the first time since Jan. 12, 2005 at St. Bonaventure.
- GW's 18-point comeback victory is the second greatest deficit overcome in the Karl Hobbs' era. The Colonials overcame a 19-point deficit in Hobbs' very first game vs. Marshall at Smith Center on Nov. 15, 2001.
- The contest marked GW's first-ever overtime game in NCAA Tournament history. It also was GW's fourth overtime game this season and the Colonials have won all four.
- Senior Mike Hall recorded his ninth double-double (13 pts., 10 reb.) of the season and the 25th of his career.
- UNCW shot 59.3% (32-for-54) from the field and 50.0% (11-for-22) from 3-point range, both season-highs for a GW opponent.
Men’s Basketball Brings Aboard Bo Zeigler
The GW men’s basketball team has bolstered its frontcourt for the 2017-18 season with the addition of graduate transfer forward Bo Zeigler, who...
Ten Colonials Competing in Kenner League
Play commenced in the 2017 Nike Pro City Jabbo Kenner Summer League last weekend with 10 GW men’s basketball players suiting up alongside some of the...
DJ Williams Joins Men's Basketball
D.J. Williams, a former top-100 recruit out of Chicago who spent the past two seasons at the University of Illinois, has joined the GW men’s basketball...
Cavanaugh to Play for Atlanta Hawks in Summer League
WASHINGTON -- Former GW star forward Tyler Cavanaugh has found a summer league home with the Atlanta Hawks.
Watanabe Hard at Work Preparing for Senior Season
After the GW men’s basketball team’s season ended in March, junior Yuta Watanabe had an important decision to make.
Raise High 'Cast: Patricio Garino
On episode two of the Raise High 'Cast, the official podcast of GW Athletics, former GW star Patricio Garino joins David Earl to talk about a whirlwind past ...
Men's Basketball Signs Javier Langarica
The GW men’s basketball program looks to further a long history of success with international players with the signing of Javier Langarica, a 6-foot-9 ...
Catching up with Tyler Cavanaugh
In the past seven weeks, Tyler Cavanaugh has completed pre-draft workouts with 13 NBA teams as the former GW star looks to begin his path towards making an...