Dec. 8, 2005
Men's Basketball 2005-06 Game Notes
12-8-05, vs. Florida International (Washington, DC; Smith Center)
Final Score: GW 70, FIU 45
- The last time GW started the season 6-0 was the 1992-93 season. The Colonials started that season 7-0 and finished with a 21-9 record. GW's best start in school history is 11-0 to begin the 1953-54 season en route to a 23-3 overall mark.
- GW improves to 4-0 all-time against FIU, with all four victories coming in the last four years.
- Head coach Karl Hobbs won his 70th career game. His overall record is now 70-53 (.569).
- Senior Mike Hall has now scored in double-figures in all six games this season. He also posted his third straight double-double and the 20th of his career.
- With 15 points tonight, senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu moved into 34th on GW's all-time scoring list. He now has 1,047 career points.
- Trailing 12-8 in the first half, GW went on a 9-0 run between 12:07 and 10:18 (1:49) to take a 17-12 lead and never trailed the rest of the game.
- Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu eclipsed his season-high with his 10th point at the 6:25 mark in the first half. He was the first player in the game to reach double-figures
- GW held FIU scoreless over a 5:46 period in the first half.
- In the first half, GW went on a 17-1 between 9:30 and 1:21 (8:09).
- Freshman Noel Wilmore set career-highs in points (6) and 3-pointers made (2).
- GW held FIU to 1-for-16 (6.3%) shooting from 3-point range, 0-for-8 in the second half. They came into the game shooting 29.2 % from long range.
- Senior Omar Williams had a season-high six assists.
- Junior Carl Elliott recorded his 150th career steal in the first half. He finished with two for the game to push his career total to 151.
Cavanaugh Named A-10 Co-Player of the Week
George Washington men's basketball forward Tyler Cavanaugh has been named the Atlantic 10 Co-Player of the Week, the league announced Monday.
Men's Basketball Bounces Back vs. Bonnies
On the heels of a heartbreaker against conference front-runner VCU on Wednesday night, the GW men's basketball team needed to bounce quickly with Saint...
Men's Basketball Hosts St. Bonaventure for Homecoming on Saturday
As part of Homecoming Weekend, the GW men’s basketball team plays host to St. Bonaventure on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. in a nationally-televised game on...
Men's Basketball Stunned by VCU, 54-53
Yuta Watanabe and GW men's basketball were denied what would have been a game-winning three-pointer with .4 seconds on the clock after a foul was called on...
Men's Basketball to Whiteout VCU
The GW men’s basketball team looks to get back in the win column in front of its home fans on Wednesday evening vs. VCU in the Charles E. Smith Center,...
Men's Basketball Falls at Richmond, 84-75
On Saturday afternoon at Richmond's Robins Center, the George Washington men's basketball team battled back again and again over the game's final 20 minutes,...
Men's Basketball Returns to the Road to Face Richmond
After seeing its three-game winning streak end at the hands of Rhode Island on Tuesday, the GW men’s basketball team returns to the road on Saturday to...
Men's Basketball Falls Short at Rhode Island, 82-70
The George Washington men's basketball team entered Rhode Island's Ryan Center on Tuesday night as the winners of three straight to pull even at 4-4 in the...