Oct. 16, 2006
Lorton, VA - The GW Men's Rowing team opened its fall season Sunday at the Occoquan Chase Regatta at Sandy Run Regional Park in Lorton, VA.
The Varsity Eight (Amy Garrison, Joe DeLeo, Henry Roosevelt, Jon D'Alba, Mike Mancusi, Pete Magee, Ben Lookner, Alex DelSordo, Oliver Blodgett) finished in second place, 7 seconds off the winning time set by the University of Virginia in a race that echoed the same contest of a year ago.
"Last year, Virgina came out and really dominated us in the eight, beating us easily by 30 some odd seconds," said head coach Greg Myhr. "Virginia is a strong, well coached team, and we knew they'd be tough to run with. Seven seconds is a decisive victory, without a doubt, though we may have nipped at their heals a bit more this year."
The GW Freshmen squad had a command performance, winning both the Freshman Eight and Freshman Four events. "Coach Weiss (GW's freshman coach) has put together a team of very talented and aggressive athletes," said Myhr. "Many of them are entirely new to this sport, but their approach to racing is almost automatic. While it is very early in the season and in these athletes' careers, Sunday's performance hints at some very exciting potential."
Next up for the Colonials is the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, MA next weekend. GW will compete in the Championship Eight, a race that features many of the top US collegiate teams in addition to national and club teams from around the world.
Results From the Occoquan Chase:
Open Men's Eight:
1. Virginia 'A' 13:21.4
2. George Washington 'A' 13:28.0
3. Virginia 'B' 13:52.3
8. George Washington 'B' 14:46.1
Open Men's Four:
1. Potomac Boat Club 15:32.2
2. George Mason 15:49.2
3. Occoquan Boat Club 15:49.4
4. George Washington 'B' 15:53.0
5. George Washington 'A' 15:59.2
Freshman Men's Eight:
1. George Washington 'A' 14:39.8
2. Georgetown 'A' 14:46.7
3. Virginia 'A' 14:52.0
6. George Washington 'B' 15:59.9
Freshman Men's Four:
1. George Washington 'A' 16:05.4
2. Georgetown 16:09.6
3. Mary Washington 16:48.9
6. George Washington 'B' 18:19.5
7. George Washington 'C' 18:43.5
Open Men's Single:
1. Bahama Training Ctr (Lynch) 17:05.6
2. George Washington 'A' (D'Alba) 17:13.6
3. Occoquan Boat Club (Nudd) 17:34.2
6. George Washington 'B' (Mancusi-Ungaro) 17:59.1
13. George Washington 'C' (Roosevelt) 19:53.9
14. George Washington 'D' (DeLeo) 19:56.9