Colonials Lose Overtime Heartbreaker to Retrievers

Sept. 10, 2003

Box Score

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Colonials fought from an 0-2 deficit with seven minutes remaining in the match to send the game to overtime, but fell 3-2 to the UMBC Retrievers when an errant clear found the back of GW's net.

GW (1-3-0) out shot UMBC (4-0-1) 21-13 for the match, and missed a number of excellent opportunities to score on the Retrievers, as the ball just didn't seem to bounce the Colonials' way for a majority of the match.

The two squads battled to a stalemate in the first half, and took a scoreless tie into the break. However, the Retrievers came out firing, and scored two quick goals in the first 12 minutes of the second half. UMBC's Matt McGowan headed home a corner kick from Michael Joseph in the 53rd minute of play to give them a 1-0 lead. Kevin Mezzadra would strike just four and a half minutes later in the 58th minute when he broke free at the top of the box and sent a rocket into the left hand corner of the goal to extend UMBC's lead to 2-0.

GW would continue their pressure, refusing to let the Retrievers sit back on defense to protect their lead, and peppered the Retrievers' goal with 16 second-half shots. The Colonials finally broke through in the 84th minute of play, when junior Matt Miller sent a hard shot on goal from 18 yards out which UMBC's keeper couldn't handle, deflecting the shot on a diving attempt. Sophomore Frank Ambrosio collected the ball in the box, and blasted home the shot to make the score 2-1, UMBC.

With time running down in regulation, GW made one final run in the final minute of play. Miller would again play a role in the tying goal, as he made a pass to senior Jeremy Catlin on the wing who sent a bounding shot on goal. Senior Arnar Johannsson redirected the shot in the mouth of the goal over the sprawling keeper to knot the score at 2-2, and send the game into overtime.



GW was unable to carry the second half's momentum into the extra period, when just three minutes into overtime UMBC received some luck of their own when Danny Mongello sent a cross through GW's box. A GW defender attempted a sliding clear of the pass but instead inadvertently redirected the ball into the net for the game-ending score.

GW's heads to Fairfax, VA to face local rival George Mason on Saturday, September 13th at 7:00 pm.


More Headlines