Towson Hands GW Its Second Straight Loss

Sept. 19, 2004

Box Score

TOWSON, MD - Towson notched two goals 13 seconds apart in the first half, and went on to a 3-1 victory against the George Washington men's soccer team (1-3-1) on Sunday, September 19 at the Towson Center Soccer Complex. It was the second straight loss for the Colonials, who also lost to American, 3-1, on September 15.

Towson (4-2-1) got on the scoreboard first when Mike Dougherty found Sebastian Haensel for a goal at the 24:11 mark. The Tigers won the ensuing face-off and Haensel connected with Angus Burke to give the Tigers a 2-0 edge at 24:24. The 13 seconds between tallies was four seconds off the NCAA record of nine second between goals set by American versus GW in 1987.

Sophomore had a chance to cut the Tigers' advantage to one, 2-1, in the 26th minute, but Dougherty, who was covering for Towson keeper Zak Thompson, made the save to keep the Colonials off the scoreboard.

After Towson's J.C. Burke gave the Tigers a 3-0 margin at 59:51, junior Andre Chapman recorded the Colonials' only goal of the contest at 72:21.

Chapman's tally was his second of the year and he is tied with classmate Jon Allen for the team lead. Allen recorded an assist on the scoring play and leads GW with five points on the year.

Chapman took four of GW's 14 shots, while the Colonials' defense held the Tigers to just seven shots in the match.

Junior goalkeeper Derek Biss made three saves for GW and Thompson stopped seven shots for the Tigers.

Haensel had a hand in all three of Towson's scores and finished with a goal and two assists on the afternoon.

Sunday's game was originally scheduled for Saturday, September 18, but was delayed 24 hours due to rainfall from Hurricane Ivan.

GW continues its road trip with a match against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County on Wednesday, September 22 at 3:00 p.m., before returning to Foggy Bottom for its 2004 home-opener on Saturday, September 25 versus George Mason.



More Headlines