GW Men's Soccer Battles VCU to Draw

Oct. 5, 2016

Box Score

WASHINGTON - The George Washington men's soccer squad scored two goals on Wednesday in a double overtime draw with VCU at the GW Soccer Field on the Mount Vernon Campus.

The Colonials (5-2-5, 0-0-2 A-10) got out to an early lead when senior Garrett Heine scored off of a free kick from 25 yards out. Heine sent a low line drive that one-hopped the far post and bounced into the net behind VCU's diving keeper to give GW a 1-0 lead in the 11th minute. The goal was Heine's second of the year.

VCU (3-5-3, 1-0-1 A-10) had its first opportunity in the 22nd minute, but sophomore keeper Thor Arne Höfs made a diving save to his left to preserve the Colonials' lead.

GW nearly added another in the 29th minute when Heine sent another free kick into the box where senior Tobi Adewole headed the ball off the crossbar before the Colonials took the 1-0 lead into halftime.

VCU tied the match in the 57th minute, when a free kick was redirected into the back of the net.

Höfs then made two saves in quick succession, tipping a shot over the crossbar in the 59th minute before diving for another save 38 seconds later.



The Rams pulled ahead in the 70th minute, when a corner kick was headed between the posts as VCU took a 2-1 lead.

The Colonials issued the equalizer in the 73rd minute, when freshman George Dise placed a corner kick into the box toward the head of sophomore Dylan Lightbourn. Lightbourn found the back of the net for his team-best fourth goal of the season to tie the match at 2-2.

Neither squad was able to break the tie as the match headed to overtime.

GW's best chance came in the second overtime in the 106th minute, when a cross by Heine was headed inches outside of the left post by Lightbourn.

GW outshot the Rams 16-12 on the day and 6-3 in the overtime periods.

The Colonials have matched a program-high with five ties.

The Buff and Blue return to action on Saturday at Atlantic 10 foe Duquense for a 7 p.m. match.

More Headlines