Men's Soccer Tops St. Bonaventure, 3-1

Oct. 10, 2003

Box Score

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Arnar Johannsson scored twice and assisted on George Washington's third goal of the match, as the Colonials earned their fourth victory of the season in a hard-fought match at Mt. Vernon Field.

GW (4-7-0, 2-1-0) and SBU (1-9-1, 0-3-0) battled through a physical match that saw a total of 41 fouls called, and seven combined cautions issued. The mood was set early when senior forward Fabio Andrade was fouled by the Bonnies' keeper after beating him in the box in order to prevent an uncontested score. Senior Arnar Johannsson would convert in the subsequent penalty kick, and give the Colonials the 1-0 edge just six minutes into the match.

The two teams would play to a stalemate for the remainder of the half, and GW took the one-goal lead into the break. Strong play by sophomore keeper Derek Biss prevented SBU from scoring on any of their eight attempts in the half, as Biss recorded four saves for the period.

The Colonials kept the pressure up on the offensive end, making run after run into the Bonnies' half of the field. Their perseverance would pay dividends in the 62nd minute when Johannsson finished a fabulous run at SBU's goal to put GW up 2-0. Defender Benjamin Mortimer began the run with a pass up the right wing to sophomore midfielder Steve Brown who made an outstanding pass to Johannsson who headed the ball past a defender and the charging keeper to score his ninth goal of the season, and second of the match.

SBU would halve GW's lead in the 75th minute on a defensive miscue by the Colonials. A defender attempted to clear the ball out of GW's box, but miss-hit the header, sending it to the feet of the Bonnies' Matt Keating. Keating beat Biss one-on-one in the mouth of the goal to make the score 2-1.



However, GW put the match out of reach just five minutes later when Johannsson recorded his fifth point of the game, feeding freshman midfielder Frank Ambrosio on the right wing in the 82nd minute of play. Ambrosio one-timed the pass into the back of the net to make the final tally, 3-1.

GW hosts Duquesne in their next match on Sunday, October 12, in a 1:00 p.m. match at Mt. Vernon Athletic Complex.

More Headlines