Men's Soccer Edged at La Salle
GW's rally falls short in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - George Washington men's soccer rallied with three second-half goals but fell, 5-3, to La Salle on Wednesday night at McCarthy Stadium.
The Colonials had tied it at three before Pat McCarthy scored a pair of late goals to give the Explorers the Atlantic 10 victory.
McCarthy put La Salle (5-7-1, 1-3) ahead for good in the 89th minute and added another goal in the final seconds. Matt Robinson scored the first three goals for the Explorers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- 38th Minute -- Robinson put the Explorers on top with a free kick from just outside the box. His shot deflected off the wall of GW defenders and past keeper Thor Arne Höfs. (La Salle 1, GW 0)
- 59th Minute -- Robinson added to the lead by converting a penalty kick for his sixth goal of the season. (La Salle 2, GW 0)
- 61st Minute -- Quickly, GW earned a penalty kick of its own to get the goal right back. O'Connor beat La Salle keeper Mark Tobin for his fourth goal of the season. (La Salle 2, GW 1)
- 75th Minute -- Dylan Lightbourn received a long throw in the box and found Koby Osei-Wusu for the equalizer. (GW 2, La Salle 2)
- 82nd Minute -- Robinson completed the hat trick with a go-ahead goal from Sixtus Akinlosotu and Hayden Criollo. (La Salle 3, GW 2)
- 83rd Minute --Williams tied it again less than two minutes later. The freshman chased down Drini Redzepi's pass into space down the left side and fired a shot inside the far post. Lightbourn was also credited with an assist on the play. (GW 3, La Salle 3)
- 89th Minute -- With less than two minutes left in regulation, McCarthy took a pass from Kenny Lassiter down the right side and fit his shot just under the crossbar. (La Salle 4, GW 3)
- 90th Minute -- McCarthy added a final score with two seconds left with GW's defense pushed up in search of the equalizer. (La Salle 5, GW 3)
- GW matched its season high with three goals. The Colonials also scored three times in their Sept. 13 win at Navy.
- O'Connor is now 3-for-3 on penalty kicks this season. He's the only Colonial who has attempted one.
- Williams scored for the second straight game. He netted his first career goal in Saturday's win over Dayton.
- Lightbourn picked up two assists on the night. He's now tied with Redzepi and Christian Lawal for the team lead with three.
- La Salle outshot GW, 20-10, for the game, including 12-7 in the high-scoring second half.
- Höfs made three saves for GW, while Tobin stopped two shots for La Salle.
WATCH THIS: Head Coach Craig Jones discusses Wednesday's loss at La Salle.
-- GW Men's Soccer (@GWMensSoccer) October 12, 2017
Men's Soccer Welcomes Rhode Island for A-10 Quarterfinal
George Washington men's soccer opens the Atlantic 10 Championship on Saturday, hosting Rhode Island in a 1 p.m. quarterfinal at GW Soccer Field on the Mount ...
Men's Soccer to Host A-10 Championship Opener
George Washington men’s soccer has earned the No. 3 seed in the Atlantic 10 Championship and will host sixth-seeded Rhode Island in a quarterfinal this...
Men's Soccer Claims Regular Season Finale
Oliver Curry scored a goal and assisted on another to lift George Washington men’s soccer to a 3-1 win over Saint Joseph’s in Saturday’s...
Men's Soccer Caps Regular Season at Saint Joseph's
George Washington men's soccer closes the regular season Saturday at Saint Joseph’s. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Sweeney Field in Philadelphia.
GW Athletics Unveils Hall of Fame Class of 2018
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation proudly unveiled during Colonials Weekend eight individuals who will comprise the GW ...
Höfs Lands A-10 Weekly Award
Thor Arne Höfs of George Washington men's soccer was named Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Week on Monday.
Men's Soccer Posts Senior Day Shutout
Peirce Williams’ 54th-minute goal proved to be the game-winner in George Washington men’s soccer’s 1-0 victory over Duquesne on Saturday...
Men's Soccer Scores Early to Down Davidson
Dylan Lightbourn’s goal in the opening minute sent George Washington men's soccer on its way to a 2-0 win over Davidson on Wednesday afternoon at GW...