Men's Soccer Claims Regular Season Finale
GW beat Saint Joseph's for fourth straight A-10 win
PHILADELPHIA - Oliver Curry scored a goal and assisted on another to lift George Washington men's soccer to a 3-1 win over Saint Joseph's in Saturday's regular-season finale at Sweeney Field.
The Colonials earned their fourth straight Atlantic 10 victory to ensure a top-four seed in the upcoming conference tournament and a home date for the quarterfinals next weekend.
GW (9-6-2, 6-2 A-10) broke a 1-1 tie in the 71st minute when Curry blasted home a rebound off an Oscar Haynes Brown shot. Earlier, the senior captain set up the Colonials' first goal with a corner kick that was headed in by Christian Lawal.
Koby Osei-Wusu added an insurance tally in the 86th minute to seal the road win. All three goals against Saint Joseph's (3-10-4, 1-5-1) came from seniors.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- 19th Minute -- GW earned a corner kick when Osei-Wusu had his shot blocked by a defender. The Colonials took advantage as Curry's service from the left side found Lawal for a header inside the back post. (GW 1, Saint Joseph's 0)
- 52nd Minute -- Saint Joseph's tied it with a successful rush, led by Alvin Dahn. The score was credited as an own goal because a sliding GW defender provided the last touch into the net. (GW 1, Saint Joseph's 1)
- 71st Minute -- Haynes Brown created the go-ahead goal. After making a long run down the left side, his initial shot was pushed away by Saint Joseph's keeper Greg O'Connell. Then, Curry swooped in to finish the rebound from near the penalty spot before a defender could get there. (GW 2, Saint Joseph's 1)
- 86th Minute -- Osei-Wusu extended the lead in the closing minutes with his fourth goal of the season off a pass from Colin Anderson. The senior midfielder ripped a low shot inside the near post from the left side. (GW 3, Saint Joseph's 1)
- Curry matched his career high with three points. The California native last tallied a goal and an assist in last season's win over Saint Joseph's at GW Soccer Field. He had two points for the season, entering the night.
- It was Lawal's first goal of the season and the 11th of his career. The forward-turned-center back scored for the first time since Sept. 25, 2016 at Robert Morris. He's got 30 career points, most among current Colonials.
- Osei-Wusu has registered a point in three straight games with two goals and an assist in that span.
- GW goalie Thor Arne Höfs made all five of his saves in the second half. His most impressive sequence came in the 87th minute when he stonewalled Daniel Morales and Matt Crawford in front of the net in quick succession to keep the Hawks from getting back within a goal.
- GW has won four straight A-10 games for the first time since 2011. The Colonials won five in a row that season en route to a conference regular-season title.
- The Colonials finish the regular season 6-2 in A-10 play, the same mark they had in 2015 when they claimed their most recent conference regular-season crown.
WATCH THIS: Head Coach Craig Jones, Lawal, Osei-Wusu and Curry discuss Saturday's win at Saint Joseph's.
-- GW Men's Soccer (@GWMensSoccer) October 29, 2017
Men's Soccer to Host A-10 Championship Opener
George Washington men’s soccer has earned the No. 3 seed in the Atlantic 10 Championship and will host sixth-seeded Rhode Island in a quarterfinal this...
Men's Soccer Claims Regular Season Finale
Oliver Curry scored a goal and assisted on another to lift George Washington men’s soccer to a 3-1 win over Saint Joseph’s in Saturday’s...
Men's Soccer Caps Regular Season at Saint Joseph's
George Washington men's soccer closes the regular season Saturday at Saint Joseph’s. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Sweeney Field in Philadelphia.
GW Athletics Unveils Hall of Fame Class of 2018
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation proudly unveiled during Colonials Weekend eight individuals who will comprise the GW ...
Höfs Lands A-10 Weekly Award
Thor Arne Höfs of George Washington men's soccer was named Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Week on Monday.
Men's Soccer Posts Senior Day Shutout
Peirce Williams’ 54th-minute goal proved to be the game-winner in George Washington men’s soccer’s 1-0 victory over Duquesne on Saturday...
Men's Soccer Scores Early to Down Davidson
Dylan Lightbourn’s goal in the opening minute sent George Washington men's soccer on its way to a 2-0 win over Davidson on Wednesday afternoon at GW...
Men's Soccer Hosts Duquesne on Senior Day
George Washington men's soccer is set to honor its five seniors before Saturday’s game against Duquesne at GW Soccer Field on the Mount Vernon Campus.