GW Men's Soccer Falls at Massachusetts

Oct. 29, 2016

Box Score

AMHERST, Mass. - The George Washington men's soccer squad fell at Massachusetts, 1-0, at the Minutemen's Rudd Field on Saturday afternoon.

The Colonials (7-5-5, 2-3-2 A-10) yielded a goal early in the first half and could not find the back of the net to drop the penultimate match of the regular season.

The Minutemen nearly broke though in the fifth minute when a header shot was saved off the line by freshman Reese Moore.

Senior Garrett Heine issued a shot on goal in the 13th minute, but a Massachusetts save kept the Colonials off the board.

UMass found the back of the net in the 19th minute, when Connor O'Dwyer sunk a header off of a free kick to take a 1-0 lead.

The Minutemen kept the pressure on, issuing two shots within a four-second span beginning in the 20th minute, but sophomore keeper Thor Arne Höfs saved the first and the second went ride right.

Junior Koby Osei-Wusu took a shot in the 42nd minute but Massachusetts' defense blocked the attempt as the Colonials continued to trail, 1-0, at the half.

Massachusetts put Höfs straight to work in the second stanza as the netminder made another save in the 46th minute. The Minutemen then fired in two corner kicks with the second resulting in a header shot and another save by Höfs.

Sophomore Alastair Berry took GW's first shot of the half in the 49th minute, but his attempt sailed high.

Massachusetts continued to hold possession, getting off three shots in a four-minute span beginning in the 55th minute. Two attempts missed their mark and Höfs saved the third.



GW's final shot of the match came in the 72nd minute when senior Tobi Adewole issued a shot that went wide left as Massachusetts came away with a 1-0 victory.

Höfs finished the match with five saves.

The Colonials were held to just five shots on the day.

GW wraps the regular season next Saturday when Saint Louis visits the GW Soccer field on the Mount Vernon Campus.

More Headlines