GW Shuts Out North Carolina, 1-0

Nov. 19, 2004

Box Score

CHAPEL HILL, NC - CHAPEL HILL, NC - The George Washington men's soccer team (10-8-4) advanced to the second round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship with a 1-0 shutout of North Carolina (10-9-2) on Friday, Nov. 19 at Fetzer Field. It was the second-ever NCAA triumph for the Colonials and the first since 1989.

GW will play at 16th-seeded Virginia Commonwealth on Tuesday, Nov. 23 at 7:00 p.m. at Sports Backer's stadium in Richmond, VA.

It was the sixth shutout for GW in its last seven matches, one shy of the team record of eight set in 1977 and equaled in 1990 and 1991. It was also the 150th career win for GW head coach George Lidster, who now has a 150-135-38 overall mark in 17 seasons at the helm of the GW program.

The victory extended GW's unbeaten streak to 10 matches, tying the school record set in 1977 (10-0) and equaled in 1990 (8-0-2).

The Colonials took an early 1-0 lead 1:26 into the match on its first shot attempt of the contest. On the play, junior Trevor Martin flicked the ball to classmate Frank Ambrosio in front of the net. Ambrosio's header was initially stopped by North Carolina goalkeeper Ford Williams, but the officials ruled the ball rolled over the goal line. The Tar Heels nearly tied contest in the 13th minute when UNC sent a corner kick into the box that was headed by Blake Beach toward the GW goal, but the shot attempt was headed away by senior co-captain Matt Miller. The Colonials maintained their one-goal edge despite UNC recording six corner kicks to GW's two in the first half.

In the second period, the Tar Heels had another chance to even the match when a shot by UNC's Tim Merritt from the right side of the box clanged off the post and his shot on the rebound was blocked by the GW defense in the 53rd minute. With 15:47 left in the contest, junior keeper Derek Biss kept the shutout intact, stopping a blast by the Tar Heels' Marcus Storey from point-blank range in front of the net. Biss came up big again for the Colonials with under six minutes left, deflecting a shot over the top of the net at the 5:03 mark and he got a piece of a shot by Dax McCarty with 4:06 left on the clock to knock it wide of the goal. In the final minutes, UNC continued to apply offensive pressure, but GW's defense tightened, clearing several service attempts by the Tar Heels.



Biss finished the match with five saves, while Willams made four stops for UNC. The Tar Heels outshot the Colonials, 17-14, in the match and recorded 11 shots in the second half. UNC dominated GW in corner kicks, 15-3.

The Colonials are now 2-5-0 in NCAA Tournament contests.

More Headlines