Hokfelt, Ortiz Notch Magnus Cup Wins Saturday
The Colonials are in second place, heading into Sunday's action
Hokfelt claimed victory in the 100-yard backstroke at Robert F. Busbey Natatorium in 49.91 seconds, while Ortiz took the 1-meter diving competition by scoring 309.05 points.
Those efforts helped the Colonials hold steady at second in the team standings with 724.5 points. They continue to chase host Cleveland State, which enters the final day of competition with 1,015.5 points.
- Hokfelt led a strong GW showing in the 100 back. The senior from Sweden was followed by teammates Emils Pone (fourth) and Andrew Cho (seventh) in the A final.
- Ortiz was followed in the diving competition by teammates Peter Nachtwey (third), Nick Tomczyk (fourth) and Nathaniel Hayward (eighth). It was Ortiz's second straight year winning an event at the Magnus Cup Invitational.
- Tommi Wolst continued his success this weekend by placing third in the 100-meter butterfly (49.50 seconds) and sixth in the 100-meter backstroke (56.90 seconds). The junior from Germany had company in the 100 fly A final with Max Forstenhaeusler finishing eighth.
- Fath narrowly edged Forstenhaeusler in the 200-yard freestyle. Fath finished third in 1:40.03 with Forstenhaeusler in fourth two-tenths of a second behind.
- Pone made the A final in the 400-yard individual medley, touching ninth in 4:09.85.
WATCH THIS: Head Coach Coach James Winchester and Ortiz discuss Saturday at the Magnus Cup Invitational.
-- GW Swimming & Diving (@GWSwimDive) November 19, 2017
Immediately following one of the most important swims of his life, Gustav Hokfelt knew he'd accomplished his goal.
Swimming & Diving Lands Five on A-10 All-Academic Teams
George Washington swimming and diving was well represented on the Atlantic 10 All-Academic Teams, released Monday.
Colonial of the Week Presented by Capgemini: Max Forstenhaeusler & Emily Zhang
Max Forstenhaeusler and Emily Zhang headlined an impressive performance for George Washington swimming and diving last week at the CSCAA National...
Men's Swimming & Diving Finishes Runner-Up at CSCAA National Invitational
George Washington men’s swimming and diving showcased its capability on the national stage, finishing runner-up at the CSCAA National Invitational...
Men's Swimming & Diving Holds Lead at CSCAA National Invitational
George Washington men’s swimming and diving claimed its first gold medal of the CSCAA National Invitational Championship on Friday night with a win in ...
Men’s Swimming & Diving Leads at CSCAA National Invitational
George Washington men’s swimming and diving picked up a bronze medal in the 200-yard freestyle relay Thursday, highlighting a strong opening day at the...
Hokfelt Invited to NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships
George Washington’s Gustav Hokfelt has been invited to compete at the NCAA Men’s Swimming & Diving Championships, which will be held later this...
Nachtwey Caps Diving Season at NCAA Zone A Championships
George Washington’s Peter Nachtwey closed the NCAA Zone A Championships strong on Wednesday with a 12th-place finish on platform.