Men's Tennis Competes in Second Day of Harvard Winter Classic
Jan. 23, 2011
BOSTON, MA - GW men's tennis faced tough opponents in doubles and singles matches in the second day of the Harvard Winter Classic at Harvard's Murr Center Tennis Courts on Saturday.
GW duo Alexander van Gils and Christopher Kushma paired up against Harvard's nationally-ranked No. 46 duo Alistair Felton and Andy Nguyen to start Day 2 of the Winter Classic. The Colonials pair fell in 8-4.
"Overall, Van Gils and Kushma played much better than yesterday as did Blumenfeld and Svensson, who had an easy win over tough opponents," said head coach Greg Munoz. "They gelled today nicely. Big returns and solid volleys made the match look effortless."
In singles action, the Colonials faced a tougher slate. Kushma defeated Alexei Chijoff-Evans, Harvard's No. 1 singles player from last season, in straight sets 6-3, 6-4.
Van Gils dropped his first set 4-6, to Harvard's Alistair Felton. The Colonial battled back to win the second set 6-2, but fell in the third set 6-2. Freshman Svensson won his first singles set 7-6 but dropped the next two sets, 6-4, 6-2, to Joshua Tchan.
Blumenfeld fell in straight sets to Mac McAnulty, 6-2, 6-3, to wrap up the second day of the event.
"We learned a lot today on what needs to be done against a ranked team like Harvard," said Munoz. "If the guy's legs stay fresh Sunday, I expect even better play all around."
Day 2 Results-
1. Pearlman (H) def. Rossi (Marist) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. MacNamee (H) loss Himmelbach (Marist) 6-2, 2-3 ret
3. Felton (H) def. Alexander van Gils (GW) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
4.Thornton (H) def. Von Nordheim (Marist) 7-5, 1-6, 1-0
5. Chijoff-Evans (H) loss Christopher Kushma (GW) 6-3, 6-4
6. Mangham (H) def. Resnik (Marist) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0
7. Kiymaz (H) loss Klassen (Marist) 6-1, 6-2
8. Omodele-Lucien (H) def. Pisecky (Marist) 6-3, 7-6 (6)
9. Tchan (H) def. Viktor Svensson (GW) 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
10. Seaver (H) def. Von Eck (Marist) 6-1, 6-2
11. Nguyen (H) def. Greene (Marist) 6-3, 7-5
12. McAnulty (H) def. Richard Blumenfeld (GW) 6-2, 6-3