Jan. 25, 2003
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The GW Men's Tennis team was beaten 7-0 by No. 55 Virginia on Saturday, January 25 at the Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, VA.
Junior Matt Hane (Walterboro, SC/Porter-Gaud School) teamed with sophomore Matt Treadgold (Glenmont, NY/Bethlehem Central) to tally the only victory for the Colonials by beating Stephen Nolen and Rylan Rizza, 8-5.
Junior Brett Warner (Vienna, VA/James Madison) and sophomore Jake Jopling (Wexford, PA/North Allegheny) both forced third sets in singles play, but were unable to come up with points for the team.
The Colonials dropped to 1-2 on the season in dual matches, but will look to turn it around when the Colonials take on James Madison at the Montclair Tennis Club on Friday, January 31.
1. Doug Stewart (UVa) def. Matt Hane (GW), 6-4, 6-4
2. Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Matt Treadgold (GW), 6-2, 6-1
3. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Jake Jopling (GW), 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
4. Travis Triplett (UVa) def. Brett Warner (GW), 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
5. Stephen Rozek (UVa) def. Jason Sucoll (GW), 6-1, 6-0
6. Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Tim Rogers (GW), 6-2, 6-1
1. Matt Hane/Matt Treadgold (GW) def. Stephen Nolen/Rylan Rizza (UVa), 8-5
2. Chris Gonyer/Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Brett Warner/Jake Jopling (GW), 8-5
3. Stephen Rozek/Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Tim Rogers/Jason Sucoll (GW), 8-1