Men's Tennis Falls to Maryland, 7-0
Feb. 11, 2005
COLLEGE PARK, MD - The George Washington University men's tennis team had its two-match winning streak snapped by Maryland on Friday, Feb. 11, as the Terrapins blanked GW, 7-0, at the Tennis Center at College Park.
GW's lone bright spot came at No. 3 doubles where senior Matt Treadgold (Glenmont, NY) and freshman Sam Salyer (Minneapolis, MN) topped Dave Reichsfeld and Josh Brauser, 9-7. Maryland won at No. 1 and 2, respectively, to earn the doubles point.
In singles play, freshman Mustafa Gencsoy (Istanbul, Turkey) took the first set, 7-6 (7-4), from Troy Demers at the No. 2 spot, but Demers rallied for the victory by winning the final two sets. Junior Will Timmons (Greenville, SC) was edged 7-6 in the first set at No. 6 by John O'Rourke, before falling 10-5 in a second set tiebreaker.
The Colonials (4-3) are back in action when they host Dayton on Friday, Feb. 18, at 12:30 p.m. at the Montclair Country Club in Montclair, VA.Maryland 7, GW 0
1. Bliss/Demers (UM) def. Jopling/Gencsoy (GW), 8-1
2. Fink/Graham (UM) def. Balke/Raisbeck (GW), 8-2
3. Treadgold/Salyer (GW) def. Reichsfeld/Brauser (UM), 9-7
1. Ian Bliss (UM) def. Jake Jopling (GW), 6-2, 6-4
2. Troy Demers (UM) def. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW), 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-5), 10-7
3. Scott Fink (UM) def. Matt Treadgold (GW), 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Dave Reichsfeld (UM) def. Elliott Daniels (GW), 6-2, 6-3
5. Ben Graham (UM) def. Sam Salyer (GW), 6-2, 6-3
6. John O'Rourke (UM) def. Will Timmons (GW), 7-6, 10-5 (Tiebreaker played in place of a second set)