Men's Tennis Wraps Weekend Finishing 1-1
Colonials edge Maryland-Baltimore County, 4-3, on Saturday, after falling to Dayton, 5-2, on Friday
Feb. 20, 2005
MONTCLAIR, VA - Sophomore Daniel Balke (Portage, MI) pulled out a tough three-set victory at No. 6 singles to clinch a 4-3 win for the George Washington men's tennis team over Maryland-Baltimore County on Saturday, Feb. 19, at the Montclair Country Club. With the victory, the Colonials improved to 5-4 overall on the season after suffering a 5-2 loss to Dayton on Friday, Feb. 18, in their Atlantic 10 opener.
On Saturday, UMBC jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by winning two of three doubles matches at No. 1 and 2, respectively. The Colonials battled back in singles play as senior Matt Treadgold (Glenmont, NY) made his return to the top spot and downed James Tyler in three sets, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, while freshman Mustafa Gencsoy (Istanbul, Turkey) handled Mike Keller at No. 2 in straight sets. GW went on to victory when Balke rallied after dropping the first set (4-6) to close out Lief Hollowell, 6-4, 7-5, for his first dual-match win of the season.
Against the Flyers, GW was led by victories from Treadgold and Gencsoy at the No. 1 and 2 positions, respectively. Treadgold topped Rob Altenau in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6 (2), while Gencsoy was also triumphant in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6 (5), over Tom Murphy.
GW (5-4, 0-1 A-10) is back in action when they travel to Piscataway, NJ, on Friday, Feb. 25, to face Rutgers at 6:00 p.m.Dayton 5, GW 2
1. Altenav/Khoury (UD) def. Treadgold/Gencsoy (GW), 8-6
2. Murphy/O'Connell (UD) def. G. Daniels/Salyer (GW), 8-2
3. Downs/Cabrera (UD) def. Raisbeck/Balke (GW), 8-3
1. Matt Treadgold (GW) def. R. Altenau (UD), 6-4, 7-6 (2)
2. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. T. Murphy (UD), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
3. J. O'Connell (UD) def. Daniel Raisbeck (UD), 6-3, 6-1
4. J. Downs (UD) def. Elliott Daniels (GW), 6-0, 6-2
5. J. Khoury (UD) def. Sam Salyer (GW), 6-3, 6-4
6. R. Cabrera (UD) def. Daniel Balke (GW), 6-0, 7-5
GW 4, UMBC 3
1. Tyler/Keller (UMBC) def. Treadgold/Gencsoy (GW), 8-9 (5-7)
2. Shamasdin/Jackson (UMBC) def. G. Daniels/Salyer (GW), 8-9 (5-7)
3. Raisbeck/Balke (GW) def. Ferreira/Jan Gsmao (UMBC), 8-3
1. Matt Treadgold (GW) def. James Tyler (UMBC), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Mike Keller (UMBC), 6-2, 6-4
3. Fernando Ferreira (UMBC) def. Elliott Daniels (GW), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
4. Trtan Shamasdin (UMBC) def. Daniel Raisbeck (GW), 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Sam Salyer (GW) def. David Jackson (UMBC), 6-1, 6-0
6. Daniel Balke (GW) def. Lief Hollowell (UMBC), 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
Men's Tennis to Close Regular Season at Home
SERVING FIRST: The George Washington men's tennis team will conclude regular-season play against A-10 opponent Duquesne on Saturday at 3 p.m. at the...
Men's Tennis Defeats George Mason, 4-2
FAIRFAX, Va. -- The George Washington men's tennis team improved to 3-2 in Atlantic 10 action with a 4-2 victory over Revolutionary Rival George Mason on...
Men's Tennis Falls to Georgetown, 4-1
WASHINGTON -- The George Washington men's tennis squad made the short trip cross-town to face local foe Georgetown, but fell to the Hoyas, 4-1, on Saturday...
Men’s Tennis Edges Richmond, 4-3
RICHMOND – The George Washington men’s tennis squad continued its recent success in Richmond on Sunday afternoon, topping the Spiders, 4-3, to...
Men’s Tennis Downs Saint Francis
WASHINGTON – The George Washington men’s tennis team nearly swept the visiting Saint Francis (Pa.) Red Flash, 6-1, at the Trump National Golf...
Men’s Tennis Set for Pair of Local Opponents
SERVING FIRST: The George Washington men’s tennis team will open weekend play by making the short trip to face local foe Georgetown on Friday at 10 a.m...
Men’s Tennis Returns to Action on Friday
SERVING FIRST: After taking a week hiatus, the George Washington men’s tennis team returns to action on Friday when it welcomes Saint Francis (Pa.) to ...
Men’s Tennis Drops 5-2 Decision to Davidson
WASHINGTON – The George Washington men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to Davidson on Sunday afternoon to close out its weekend homestand at...