Men's Tennis Posts 4-3 A-10 Victory Over Duquesne
March 27, 2006
McLEAN, VA - The George Washington University men's tennis team defeated Duquesne, 4-3, Saturday evening in an Atlantic 10 Conference match at the Regency Sport & Health Club. The Colonials won 4-of-6 singles matches to secure their second victory of the season and their first conference win.
The Dukes earned the doubles point as they won at No. 2 and 3, respectively. Sophomores Mustafa Gencsoy (Istanbul, Turkey) and Elliott Daniels (Hilton Head, SC) notched GW's lone doubles win at No. 1 with an 8-6 victory over Devon Peightal and Adam Townsend.
In singles play, GW was led by Gencsoy and Salyer's straight-set victories at the No. 1 and 2 positions. Sophomore Mark Doumba (Bradenton, FL) and junior Daniel Balke (Portage, MI) also won their respective singles matches in three sets.
The Colonials (2-8) return to action when they travel to St. Bonaventure, NY, to take on Buffalo on Friday, March 31 and St. Bonaventure on Saturday, April 1 at 12 p.m.GW 4, Duquesne 3
1. Gencsoy/Daniels (GW) def. Peightal/Townsend, 8-6
2. Ortega/Clough def. Salyer/Balke (GW), 9-8 (5)
3. Belmonte/Ojeda def. Doumba/Sucoll (GW), 8-2
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Devon Peightal, 6-3, 6-3
2. Sam Salyer (GW) def. Michael Ortega, 6-3, 6-1
3. Paul Clough def. Elliott Daniels (GW), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Mark Doumba (GW) def. Adam Townsend, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Daniel Balke (GW) def. Rob Ojeda, 7-5, 5-7, 7-5
6. Blake Williams def. Jason Sucoll (GW), 6-3, 6-4