March 28, 2010
Greenville, NC -- The George Washington men's tennis team fell to the East Carolina Pirates, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the ECU Tennis Facility.
Playing outdoors, wind was a factor in the matches, but the Pirates were able to take the doubles point sweeping all three tough doubles matches.
"I was happy with our team's energy and the doubles play of Ken Mkrtchian," said head coach Greg Munoz "We needed to have a lot more in our favor to compete on the road against a tough ECU team."
Mkrtchian stepped up to fill the role of Arya Vayghan, who usually pairs with Chris Kushma. The new doubles pair of Kushma and Mkrtchian fought hard, but fell at No. 3 doubles 8-6.
In singles action, Kushma was able to win 6-3, 6-0 for the only Colonial win on the day.
Ugur Atalay battled at No. 1 singles, winning the second set 6-1, after dropping the first set 4-6, t to force a third. Atlay lost a tough tiebreaker set 7-6.
The Colonials have a brief break before hosting Howard at the Mount Vernon Tennis Facility at 10 a.m. then host James Madison at 2 p.m. GW faces Longwood on Sunday, April 11, at 10 a.m. at home to gear up for the first round of the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship beginning on April 16, at the Club4Life in Monroeville, PA.
ECU 6, GW 1
1. Horvath/Henrik Skalmerud (ECU) def. Atalay/Hannah (GW) 8-4
2. Mannino/Oakley (ECU) def. Blumenfeld/Levinski (GW) 8-6
3. Stian Tvedt/Whitwell (ECU) def. Kushma/Mkrtchian (GW) 8-6
1. Jaroslav Horvath (ECU) def. Ugur Atalay (GW) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6
2. Stephen Whitwell (ECU) def. Yan Levinski (GW) 6-4, 6-2
3. Massimo Mannino (ECU) def. Erik Hannah (GW) 7-5, 6-3
4. Chris Kushma (GW) def. Pablo Nunez Palmieri (ECU) 6-3, 6-0
5. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Ken Mkrtchian (GW) 6-2, 6-4
6. Bryan Oakley (ECU) def. Richard Blumenfeld (GW) 6-0, 6-4
Team Records: George Washington 6-9, East Carolina 15- 4