Men's Tennis Downs Duquesne, 4-2, to Advance at A-10 Championship
Colonials Set to Face No. 1 Seed Charlotte in the Second Round
April 7, 2006
MONROEVILLE, PA - Led by singles victories at the top two spots from sophomores Mustafa Gencsoy (Istanbul, Turkey) and Sam Salyer (Minneapolis, MN), the No. 8 seed George Washington men's tennis team defeated No. 9 seed Duquesne, 4-2, Friday morning in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship at Club 4 Life.
With the victory, GW advances to the second round where it will face No. 1 seed Charlotte at 5 p.m. this afternoon.
The Colonials, playing the first match of the championship, swept the doubles point and won three-of-five singles contests to clinch the match. Sophomore Mark Doumba (Bradenton, FL) was leading his match at No. 4 singles, but the match went unfinished. Gencsoy, Salyer and senior Will Timmons (Greenville, SC) each won their respective singles matches in straight sets.#8 GW 4, #9 Duquesne 2
1. Gencsoy/Salyer (GW) def. Peightal/Townsend (DUQ) - 8-2
2. Daniels/Timmons (GW) def. Ortega/Clough (DUQ) - 8-6
3. Doumba/Balke (GW) vs. Belmonte/Ojeda (DUQ) - 6-3 (DNF)
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Peightal (DUQ) - 7-6 (4), 6-2
2. Sam Salyer (GW) def. Clough (DUQ) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Ortega (DUQ) def. Elliott Daniels (GW) - 6-4, 6-1
4. Mark Doumba (GW) vs. Townsend (DUQ) - 4-6, 6-2, 3-0 (DNF)
5. Ojeda (DUQ) def. Daniel Balke (GW) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Will Timmons (GW) def. Blake Williams (DUQ) - 6-2, 6-3