Men's Tennis Blanks La Salle, Before Bowing Out to Xavier at A-10 Championship
Colonials halt Explorers, 4-0; Musketeers edge GW, 4-3, in Quarterfinals
April 9, 2005
MONROEVILLE, PA - The sixth-seeded George Washington University men's tennis team shut out 11th-seeded La Salle, 4-0, in the opening round of the 2005 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship on Friday, April 8, before falling to third-seeded Xavier, 4-3, in the quarterfinals at The Oxford Athletic Club.
The Colonials, playing in the third match of the morning on Friday, gained a 1-0 lead against the Explorers by winning 2-of-3 doubles matches. Freshmen Mustafa Gencsoy (Istanbul, Turkey) and Sam Salyer (Minneapolis, MN) earned an 8-1 win at No. 2, while senior Daniel Raisbeck (Bogota, Colombia) and sophomore Daniel Balke (Portage, MI) also won 8-1 at the third spot.
Gencsoy and Balke led the way in singles action as well with each posting straight-set victories at the No. 1 and 6 positions, respectively. Junior Will Timmons (Greenville, SC) also won at fifth singles, 6-2, 6-0 to help GW advance to the quarterfinals where third-seeded Xavier was waiting.
Against the Musketeers in the seventh of eight matches on the day, the Colonials once again took a 1-0 lead in their contest by capturing 2-of-3 contests in doubles play. The senior tandem of Matt Treadgold (Glenmont, NY) and Jake Jopling (Wexford, PA) earned a hard-fought 9-8 (7-3) win at first doubles, while Raisbeck and Balke continued to roll with a tough 9-8 (8-6) triumph of their own at the third spot.
In singles play, Xavier rallied to survive and advance to Saturday's semifinals with wins at the No. 3-6 positions with Justin Yeager clinching the match at the third spot (6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 7-5). Gencsoy won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4 at the top spot to lead the Colonials in singles action, while Treadgold also posted a straight-set victory at No. 2, 6-3, 6-1.#6 GW 4, #11 La Salle 0
1. Jopling/Treadgold (GW) def. Gargullo/Williams (LAS) - 7-2 (DNF)
2. Gencsoy/Salyer (GW) def. Onorato/Glick (LAS) - 8-1
3. Raisbeck/Balke (GW) def. Flockerzie/Plegaria (LAS) - 8-1
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Gargulla (LAS) - 6-1, 6-0
2. Matt Treadgold (GW) def. Onorato (LAS) - 6-2, 5-0 (DNF)
3. Sam Salyer (GW) def. Williams (LAS) - 5-3 (DNF)
4. Elliott Daniels (GW) def. Eric Glick (LAS) - 6-0, 3-2 (DNF)
5. Will Timmons (GW) def. Flockerzie (LAS) - 6-2, 6-0
6. Daniel Balke (GW) def. Plegaria (LAS) - 6-0, 6-0
#3 Xavier 4, #6 GW 3
1. Jopling/Treadgold (GW) def. Simpson/Yeager (XU) - 9-8 (7-3)
2. Miller/Randall (XU) def. Gencsoy/Salyer (GW) - 9-7
3. Raisbeck/Balke (GW) def. Reys/Schubert (XU) - 9-8 (8-6)
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Randall (XU) - 6-3, 6-4
2. Matt Treadgold (GW) def. Miller (XU) - 6-3, 6-1
3. Yeager (XU) def. Jake Jopling (GW) - 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 7-5
4. Simpson (XU) def. Sam Salyer (GW) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
5. Schubert (XU) def. Elliott Daniels (GW) - 6-3, 6-1
6. Adam Shaeffer (XU) vs. Will Timmons (GW) - 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
13 GW VARSITY PROGRAMS RECOGNIZED WITH PERFECT GRADUATION SUCCESS RATE
GW student-athletes see graduation success seven percent higher than NCAA average
GW Men's Tennis Volunteers at Heart to Heart Event
Colonials participate for second-straight year
GW Men's Tennis Wraps Fall Play on Saturday
Lakewood Ranch, Fla. - The George Washington men's tennis squad wrapped fall tournament play on Saturday at the Lakewood Ranch Dick Vitale Invitational...
Men's Tennis Posts Strong Day 1 at Dick Vitale Invite
LAKEWOOD RANCH, Fla. - George Washington men's tennis posted a strong first day of competition at the Lakewood Ranch Dick Vitale Invitational presented by...
Men's Tennis to Wrap Fall at Dick Vitale Invite
WASHINGTON - Senior Julius Tverijonas and junior Chris Reynolds will represent the George Washington men's tennis squad at the Lakewood Ranch Dick Vitale...
@GWMensTennis Ends Run at ITA Regionals
Tverijonas Falls in Singles Round of 16
GW Men's Tennis Posts Perfect Day of Singles on Saturday
Colonials Continue Regional Play
GW Men's Tennis Begins ITA Regional Play
Colonials Grab Pair of Doubles Wins on Friday