Men's Tennis Blanks La Salle, Before Bowing Out to Xavier at A-10 Championship
Colonials halt Explorers, 4-0; Musketeers edge GW, 4-3, in Quarterfinals
April 9, 2005
MONROEVILLE, PA - The sixth-seeded George Washington University men's tennis team shut out 11th-seeded La Salle, 4-0, in the opening round of the 2005 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship on Friday, April 8, before falling to third-seeded Xavier, 4-3, in the quarterfinals at The Oxford Athletic Club.
The Colonials, playing in the third match of the morning on Friday, gained a 1-0 lead against the Explorers by winning 2-of-3 doubles matches. Freshmen Mustafa Gencsoy (Istanbul, Turkey) and Sam Salyer (Minneapolis, MN) earned an 8-1 win at No. 2, while senior Daniel Raisbeck (Bogota, Colombia) and sophomore Daniel Balke (Portage, MI) also won 8-1 at the third spot.
Gencsoy and Balke led the way in singles action as well with each posting straight-set victories at the No. 1 and 6 positions, respectively. Junior Will Timmons (Greenville, SC) also won at fifth singles, 6-2, 6-0 to help GW advance to the quarterfinals where third-seeded Xavier was waiting.
Against the Musketeers in the seventh of eight matches on the day, the Colonials once again took a 1-0 lead in their contest by capturing 2-of-3 contests in doubles play. The senior tandem of Matt Treadgold (Glenmont, NY) and Jake Jopling (Wexford, PA) earned a hard-fought 9-8 (7-3) win at first doubles, while Raisbeck and Balke continued to roll with a tough 9-8 (8-6) triumph of their own at the third spot.
In singles play, Xavier rallied to survive and advance to Saturday's semifinals with wins at the No. 3-6 positions with Justin Yeager clinching the match at the third spot (6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 7-5). Gencsoy won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4 at the top spot to lead the Colonials in singles action, while Treadgold also posted a straight-set victory at No. 2, 6-3, 6-1.#6 GW 4, #11 La Salle 0
1. Jopling/Treadgold (GW) def. Gargullo/Williams (LAS) - 7-2 (DNF)
2. Gencsoy/Salyer (GW) def. Onorato/Glick (LAS) - 8-1
3. Raisbeck/Balke (GW) def. Flockerzie/Plegaria (LAS) - 8-1
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Gargulla (LAS) - 6-1, 6-0
2. Matt Treadgold (GW) def. Onorato (LAS) - 6-2, 5-0 (DNF)
3. Sam Salyer (GW) def. Williams (LAS) - 5-3 (DNF)
4. Elliott Daniels (GW) def. Eric Glick (LAS) - 6-0, 3-2 (DNF)
5. Will Timmons (GW) def. Flockerzie (LAS) - 6-2, 6-0
6. Daniel Balke (GW) def. Plegaria (LAS) - 6-0, 6-0
#3 Xavier 4, #6 GW 3
1. Jopling/Treadgold (GW) def. Simpson/Yeager (XU) - 9-8 (7-3)
2. Miller/Randall (XU) def. Gencsoy/Salyer (GW) - 9-7
3. Raisbeck/Balke (GW) def. Reys/Schubert (XU) - 9-8 (8-6)
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Randall (XU) - 6-3, 6-4
2. Matt Treadgold (GW) def. Miller (XU) - 6-3, 6-1
3. Yeager (XU) def. Jake Jopling (GW) - 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 7-5
4. Simpson (XU) def. Sam Salyer (GW) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
5. Schubert (XU) def. Elliott Daniels (GW) - 6-3, 6-1
6. Adam Shaeffer (XU) vs. Will Timmons (GW) - 6-3, 2-6, 6-1