Colonials Take on James Madison Friday at 2 p.m. at the Vern
April 9, 2010
WASHINGTON- George Washington men's tennis defeated Howard, 7-0, Friday morning in the first of two matches of the day.
GW began the dual by sweeping all three doubles matches to go up 1-0 on Howard.
Battling the strong winds, Erik Hannah and Chris Kushma won their singles matches in straight sets.
Ugur Atalay, at No. 1 singles, and Richard Blumenfeld, at No. 4 singles, fought off tiebreakers to be victorious over their Howard opponents.
Andy Erickson and Ken Mkrtchian claimed their first singles victories of the spring, both winning 6-0, 6-1.
"We had a great week of practice," said head coach Greg Munoz. "It was the most focused I have seen these guys practice the entire year. They know conference is around the corner."
The Colonials continue play at the Mount Vernon Tennis Center today against James Madison at 2 p.m. GW wraps up the regular season at home on Sunday, April 11, taking on Longwood at 10 a.m. for a Buff Out Match.
1. Kushma/Hannah (GW) def. Haloui/Wharton (HU) 8-3
2. Atalay/Blumenfeld (GW) def. Chavous/Merrell (HU) 8-3
3. Levinksi/Mkrtchian (GW) def. Diggs/Burns (HU) 8-1
1. Ugur Atalay (GW) def. Omar Haloui (HU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (6)
2. Erik Hannah (GW) def. Devard Wharton (HU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Chris Kushma (GW) def. George Diggs (HU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Richard Blumenfeld (GW) def. Eric Chavous (HU) 7-6(1), 6-1
5. Ken Mkrtchian (GW) def. Tonigue Merrell (HU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Andy Erickson (GW) def. Brandon Burns (HU) 6-0, 6-1