Men's Tennis Claims Fifth at A-10 Championship
Junior Will Timmons clinches 4-3 victory over Saint Joseph's at sixth singles
April 10, 2005
MONROEVILLE, PA - After narrowly falling to third-seeded Xavier in the quarterfinals, the sixth-seeded George Washington University men's tennis team regrouped to post back-to-back victories over ninth-seeded Rhode Island, 4-0, and fifth-seeded Saint Joseph's, 4-3, to capture fifth place at the 2005 Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship on Sunday at The Oxford Athletic Club.
On Saturday against the Rams, the Colonials received wins from seniors Matt Treadgold (Glenmont, NY) and Jake Jopling (Wexford, PA) at first doubles (9-7), and senior Daniel Raisbeck (Bogota, Colombia) and sophomore Daniel Balke (Portage, MI) at third doubles (8-1) to go ahead 1-0.
Treadgold won his third consecutive match of the tournament in singles play with a straight-set 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 2 to help lead GW to the shut out. Jopling (6-0, 6-1) and junior Will Timmons (6-3, 6-1) also won in straight sets at the third and sixth spots, respectively, to secure the victory and propel the Colonials into the fifth-place match on Sunday.
In the fifth-place contest, Saint Joseph's gained a 1-0 advantage at the outset by sweeping the doubles point. For Treadgold and Jopling, their 8-6 loss at the top spot was their first of the tournament.
GW began its rally with straight-set victories from freshman Mustafa Gencsoy (Istanbul, Turkey), Treadgold and Jopling at the first through third positions. In the end, Timmons, playing at No. 6, dropped the first set (4-6), before coming back to win 6-3, 6-2 in the second and third sets, respectively, to clinch the match for the Colonials.
In the finals, top-seeded Richmond defeated second-seeded Dayton, 4-2, to win its second consecutive A-10 title.#6 GW 4, #9 Rhode Island 0
1. Jopling/Treadgold (GW) def. Parente/Carvalho (URI) - 9-7
2. Sutphen/Barbera (URI) def. Gencsoy/Salyer (GW) - 8-6
3. Raisbeck/Balke (GW) def. Redmond/Tevooren (URI) - 8-1
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) vs. Sutphen (URI) - DNF
2. Matt Treadgold (GW) def. Parente (URI) - 6-2, 6-1
3. Jake Jopling (GW) def. Barbera (URI) - 6-0, 6-1
4. Sam Salyer (GW) vs. Redmond (URI) -- DNF
5. Elliott Daniels (GW) vs. Tevooren (URI) -- DNF
6. Will Timmons (GW) def. Carvalho (URI) - 6-3, 6-1
#6 GW 4, #5 Saint Joseph's 3
1. Velazquez/Garabedian (SJU) def. Jopling/Treadgold (GW) - 8-6
2. Holland/Aniello (SJU) def. Gencsoy/Salyer (GW) - 8-5
3. Spencer/Pangilinan (SJU) vs. Raisbeck/Balke (GW) - 6-4 (DNF)
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Velazquez (SJU) - 6-1, 6-4
2. Matt Treadgold (GW) def. Holland (SJU) - 6-1, 6-4
3. Jake Jopling (GW) def. Garabedian (SJU) - 6-1, 6-1
4. Aniello (SJU) def. Sam Salyer (GW) - 6-2, 6-2
5. Spencer (SJU) def. Elliott Daniels (GW) - 6-3, 7-5
6. Will Timmons (GW) def. Pangilinan (SJU) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-2