Men's Tennis Falls at Georgetown
Oct. 2, 2006
WASHINGTON, DC -The George Washington men's tennis team lost their first dual match of the fall season on Friday, falling to cross-town rival Georgetown 5-2. The Hoyas sealed their victory when sophomore Adam Gross downed Colonial senior Brandon Harris in singles competition, 1-6, 6-2, 6-2.
The day began with George Washington claiming the doubles point, winning two of the three matches. Junior Mustafa Gencsoy paired with freshman Ryan Hunter to win their match over Tillem/Tywang, 8-6. Senior Daniel Balke and junior Elliot Daniels followed suit, defeating Paris/Lowell, 8-2. With GW earning the point for the doubles portion of the event that meant that Georgetown needed to win four of the six singles matches to secure the victory.
The only win for GW in the singles' play came from Gencsoy, who moved past Anthony Tan, 6-3, 6-2. Their match came less than a week after their meeting in the finals of the Georgetown Classic, a tournament won by Gencsoy, 6-7(5), 5-4 (ret.). With the score tied at two, Jeff Schnell upended GW's Sam Salyer at the second singles position for the third point. Bert Baggio won the final match in a three-set battle, 7-5, 5-7, 6-0, to give the Hoyas the 5-2 edge.
It was the first time Georgetown has been victorious over Gorge Washington in five years. The Colonials will return to action October 13-15, when they travel to Newport News, VA, to participate in the Hampton Roads Invitational of Newport News.
Georgetown 5, George Washington 2
1. Mustafa Gencsoy (GW) def. Anthony Tan, 6-3, 6-2
2. Jeff Schnell def. Sam Salyer (GW), 6-2, 6-3
3. Adam Gross def. Brandon Harris (GW), 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 *
4. Will Lowell def. Elliott Daniels (GW), 6-1, 6-1
5. Theodore Tywang def. Ryan Hunger (GW), 6-0, 6-4
6. Bert Baggio def. Maxx Wattenberg (GW), 7-5, 5-7, 6-0
1. Kevin Walsh/Schnell def. Salyer/Harris (GW), 8-4
2. Gencsoy/Hunter (GW) def. David Tillem/Tywang, 8-6
3. Daniel Balke/Daniels (GW) def. Etienne Paris/Lowell, 8-2
*indicates deciding match