Colonials Come Back From 13 Down, to Down Dukes, 63-56

Feb. 10, 2006

Final Stats

PITTSBURGH, PA - The Colonials (16-6, 9-2) came back to defeat Duquesne (9-14, 4-8) despite trailing by 13 points in the second half, 63-56. It was GW's biggest comeback of the season and the first time that the Colonials have come back from a halftime deficit when they trailed by eight, 32-24. Colonials' Kimberly Beck hit four three-pointers and two clutch foul shots down the stretch to score all 14 of her points in the second half. With the win, the Colonials remain tied for second in the A-10.

The Colonials trailed for almost the entire game until Kenan Cole put GW ahead, for the first time since the opening minutes, on a jump shot with 6:47 left. The Dukes answered with three foul shots over the next 15 seconds but Cole tied the game at 54 on another jumper with just five minutes left. This was the second time that GW has won when tied with five minutes left but they have never come from behind within five minutes of the final horn. The Colonials did not need to this time either as Whitney Allen made a layup and the subsequent foul shot.

Duquesne answered with one last bucket with 2:43 left to cut the Colonials lead to one point, 57-56. It was Duquesne's only field goal of the final 11:40 of the game. The Colonials kept the Dukes from scoring for almost four minutes and then for the final 3:32 of the game. GW scored 31 of their 63 points over the last 11:45. The Colonials had five three pointers all of which came in the second half. Beck made four of her five second half attempts and Kenan Cole went 1-2 and finished with 13 points.

Jessica Simmonds actually led the Colonials with 15 points, scoring 10 of them in the first half. Her first half total was actually more than she has scored in GW's last five games, since recording a double-double at Saint Joseph's. Simmonds finished with a team-high six rebounds as did Jessica Adair. Duquesne's Nicole Sinclair had an impressive 16 rebounds, 11 of which were defensive and led to a slight 35-34 Dukes rebounding advantage. The Dukes Aiga Bautre had a team-high 13 points on three three pointers.



GW started the game flat and did not score for the first 2:45. Duquesne, however, opened with a 7-0 run before the Colonials called a timeout to talk things over. GW answered with an 8-0 run while keeping the Dukes scoreless for almost four minutes. It put the Colonials ahead for the only until the final minutes, and GW's early 8-7 lead lasted only 13 seconds before the Dukes reclaimed control and finished the first half with an eight-point, 32-24 lead. GW's 24 first-half points was less than half of their first-half total of 49 in the first half against Saint Louis on Monday.

This was only the second A-10 game in which the Colonials were behind at halftime. GW was down by eight at the half and trailed by as many as 10 before Jessica Adair scored the final field goal of the first frame. Duquesne stretched the lead to 11, 37-26, Malgorzata Flaga scored her first points on Duquesne's fifth three pointer of the game. She then put the Dukes up by a game-high 13 when she made two foul shots with 14 minutes left in the game.

After playing tonight, GW will travel to Olean, NY tomorrow and play St. Bonaventure at noon on Sunday. GW then returns home, where it enjoys a 10-game home winning streak, for two games next weekend. The Colonials take on La Salle at 7:00 p.m. next Friday at Charles E. Smith Athletic Center. GW plays Richmond for a second time on Sunday at noon, a game that will be aired on A-10 TV.

More Headlines