GW Lacrosse Holds off Holy Cross in 11-9 Win

Junior Jordy Bathras tallied four points for GW with three goals and one assist against Holy Cross on Thursday.

March 7, 2013

Box Score

WASHINGTON – The George Washington lacrosse team withstood a 6-1 Holy Cross run in the final 12:27 of action to claim an 11-9 victory over the Hawks in the first-ever meeting between the two programs on Thursday at the GW Lacrosse Field on the Mount Vernon Campus.

Senior Nicole Lacey (4 g) and junior Jordy Bathras (3 g, 1 a) paced the Colonials (4-2) with four points apiece, while juniors Lindsey DiAntonio and Terasa Vassallo, sophomore Rachel Mia and freshman Olivia Boudreau each chipped in a goal. Senior goalkeeper Jess Hicks matched her season-high with 10 stops between the pipes.

GW held Holy Cross (3-3) scoreless until 57 seconds remained in the first-half and took a 5-1 lead into the halftime break. The Hawks came out strong in the second frame, out-scoring the Colonials 8-6, but the Buff and Blue refused to surrender to the visitors’ run.

Freshman Olivia Boudreau – the reigning Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week – put GW on the scoreboard first with an unassisted goal just 1:36 into play and the squad never yielded the lead.  Boudreau then found an open Lacey less than seven minutes later for the Colonials’ second tally.

GW extended the lead to 3-0 at 10:54 when sophomore Jamie Bumgardner connected with Vassallo for her first goal of the season, and DiAntonio found the back of the net at 17:14 for GW’s fourth goal. Lacey added her second of the half at 19:21 to give the Colonials a 5-0 lead. Holy Cross eventually scored with 29:03 showing on the clock as the squad’s entered the break with a 5-1 score.

Holy Cross netted its second goal 1:08 into the second half, but Lacey responded for the Colonials off of a pass from Bathras to put GW up 6-2. The Hawks tallied their third score at 9:23 in the second frame, but GW answered with four straight goals – three of which were unassisted scores from Bathras – over the next 6:19. Mia scored at 10:10 off a pass from Bumgardner from behind the net, and Bathras followed with three straight goals, two on free position shots.

Holy Cross went on a 6-1 run to close the contest but it was not enough to overcome GW. After the Hawks scored three straight goals in a four-minute span, including two off of free position shots, Lacey interrupted the run with an unassisted goal at the 23:46 mark for GW’s final score.

The Colonials return to action on Wednesday, March 13 at Mount St. Mary’s for its first contest outside Washington, D.C. this season. Action in Emmitsburg, Md., is slated for 4 p.m.



More Headlines