Women's Soccer Edged By LSU
Colonials take on American on Sunday
WASHINGTON -- The George Washington women's soccer squad fell to LSU, 2-0, on Thursday evening at the GW Soccer Field on the Mount Vernon Campus.
The Colonials held a 15-8 advantage in shots and a 10-2 edge in corner kicks, but it wasn't enough to stop the Tigers as they improve to 4-0 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 6th Minute -- Tinaya Alexander gave LSU an early edge when she slipped behind the defense off of a pass from Lucy Parker and converted the breakaway. (LSU 1, GW 0)
- 26th Minute --- The Tigers continued to apply the offensive pressure in the first half and were able to add onto their lead when Zoe Higgins netted her third goal of the season. (LSU 2, GW 0)
- GW threatened, including several quality chances in the second half, but could not find a way to beat LSU's goalkeeper Caroline Brockmeier. The Colonials tallied eight shots in the first half and seven shots in the second half.
- Senior Forward Brittany Cooper led GW with four shots on net while freshman Alexis Williams posted a personal-best three on goal.
- The Colonials' best scoring chance came at the 17:40 mark in the second half when Allie Nornes took a breakaway shot and nearly scored as the ball hit the post.
Hear what head coach Sarah Barnes had to say about today's game:
Coach Barnes' take on today's game: pic.twitter.com/8HSZ96bnxr
-- GW Women's Soccer (@GWWomensSoccer) August 31, 2017
Women’s Soccer’s Belfonti (’15) Signs Pro Contract
HEIDELBERG, Australia – George Washington women’s soccer alumna Nicole Belfonti (2011-15) has signed a professional contract with Heidelberg...
Women's Soccer Quartet Earns A-10 Postseason Honors
The George Washington women’s soccer squad garnered five Atlantic 10 postseason honors, the league announced on Wednesday. Junior Sofia Pavon was named...
Women's Soccer Falls in Overtime Heartbreaker at Duquesne
The George Washington women’s soccer squad closed its 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship run in the quarterfinal round with a 1-0 double overtime loss at...
Women’s Soccer Opens A-10 Tournament Play on Saturday
The top eight squads in the Atlantic 10 will compete for the championship crown starting this Saturday as the top-four seeded teams are set to host the first...
GW Athletics Unveils Hall of Fame Class of 2018
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation proudly unveiled during Colonials Weekend eight individuals who will comprise the GW ...
Women’s Soccer Clinches No. 5 Seed at A-10 Championship
The George Washington women’s soccer team has claimed the No. 5 seed at the upcoming 2017 Atlantic 10 championship hosted by VCU.
Women’s Soccer Plays Duquesne to Draw in Home Finale
The George Washington women’s soccer squad played Duquesne to a 0-0 draw on Sunday afternoon in their home finale at the GW Soccer Field on the Mount...
Women’s Soccer to Wrap Regular Season
The George Washington women’s soccer squad will hit the road for the last time in the regular season on Thursday when they travel to take on the...