Women's Squash Wins Two Home Matches
Feb. 12, 2008
WASHINGTON, DC - George Washington women's squash defeated both #24 Virginia and Haverford Saturday afternoon in their final home matches of the 2007-08 season, played in front of large crowds at the Lerner Health and Wellness Center. With the two wins, the Colonials snapped a three-match losing streak to finish the 2007-08 regular season at 8-9.
In the day's first match, an upset of #24 Virginia, GW jumped out to an early 5-1 lead as they went on to win, 7-2. The Colonials defeated Haverford by the same score in the afternoon contest.
Saturday's matches marked the final regular-season events for two seniors on the GW team, Alexa Miller and co-captain Kara Popowich. The two performed in grand fashion, each winning both of their individual matches, losing just one game between them over the course of the day.
The win over UVA was the second top-25 team that GW has upset in the past two weeks. On January 26, the Colonials knocked off #21 St. Lawrence, 5-4. Last year, in the semifinals of the Howe Cup, the Saints defeated GW by the same score. This result should help to cement the Colonials spot in the C Division at this season's Howe Cup, which would be a program first.
George Washington will take a break from competition this weekend before traveling to Princeton, NJ, for the Howe Cup, the College Squash Association Team Championships, February 22-24.
#25 George Washington 7, #24 Virginia 2
#25 George Washington 7, Haverford 2
1. Rachael Rayfield (GW) def Sarah Gilarsky (HAV) 3-0
2. Kate Bullard (GW) def Betsy Schmidt (HAV) 3-0
3. Chelsea Mouta (GW) def Jacqueline Seegers (HAV) 3-2
4. Eliza Ehrlich (GW) def Margo Schall (HAV) 3-0
5. Kara Popowich (GW) def Karen Lavi (HAV) 3-0
6. Alexa Miller (GW) def Emma Bartlett (HAV) 3-0
7. Abigail Larner (HAV) def Mallory Ward (GW) 3-0
8. Chrissy Wallace (GW) def Alexandra Wilson-Elizondo (HAV) no score
9. Amelia Musto (HAV) def T.T. Pasanen (GW) 3-0