Women's Tennis Downs Maryland-Baltimore County, 5-2
March 2, 2005
MONTCLAIR, VA - Led by victories at No. 1 doubles and singles from junior Anastasia Skavronskaia (Miami, FL), the George Washington women's tennis team defeated Maryland-Baltimore County, 5-2, in a non-conference tilt on Tuesday, March 1, at the Montclair Country Club. With the win, the Colonials even their record at 2-2 on the season.
GW opened the contest strong by sweeping all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. Skavronskaia and freshman Michelle Alexander (Charlotte, NC) teamed together at No. 1 to top Ale Pedergnana and Aimee Lim, 9-7, while sophomores Mara Frisch (Tucson, AZ) and Leah Woodard (Wellesley, MA) defeated Adriana Fonseca and Elizabeth Anderson, 8-4, at the second spot. At the third position, senior Sevla Gonca (Ankara, Turkey) and freshman Tracy Stecko (Lake Forest, IL) earned an 8-6 win over Gabriela Furdyna and Pascaline Cette.
In singles play, Skavronskaia earned her second straight win at No. 1 with a straight-set 6-4, 6-1 victory over Pedergnana. At No. 3, Stecko notched a three-set win over Fonseca, 2-6, 6-3, 6-1, while Gonca recorded her second consecutive singles win with a 6-1, 6-4 triumph over Anderson at the four spot. Frisch was also victorious for the Colonials at the fifth spot, topping Furdyna in straight sets, 6-1, 7-5 to run her singles record to 2-0 on the season.
GW (2-2) returns to action when it hosts Atlantic 10 member Xavier on Friday, March 4, at 4:30 p.m. in Montclair, VA, at the Montclair Country Club.GW 5, UMBC 2
1. Skavronskaia/Alexander (GW) d. Pedergnana/Lim (UMBC), 9-7
2, Frisch/Woodard (GW) d. Fonseca/Anderson (UMBC), 8-4
3, Gonca/Stecko (GW) d. Furdyna/Cette (UMBC), 8-6
1. Anastasia Skavronskaia (GW) d. Ale Pedergnana (UMBC), 6-4, 6-1
2. Aimee Lim (UMBC) d. Michelle Alexander (GW), 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
3. Tracy Stecko (GW) d. Adriana Fonseca (UMBC), 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Sevla Gonca (GW) d. Elizabeth Anderson (UMBC), 6-1, 6-4
5. Mara Frisch (GW) d. Gabriela Furdyna (UMBC), 6-1, 7-5
6. Pascaline Cette (UMBC) d. Leah Woodard (GW), 6-2, 6-3