Women's Tennis Knocks Off Duquesne, 6-1
Colonials notch first A-10 victory of the season
April 4, 2005
PITTSBURGH, PA - Led by 5-of-6 victories in singles play and a sweep of the doubles point, the George Washington women's tennis team topped Duquesne, 6-1, in an Atlantic 10 Conference match on Saturday, April 2, at the Oxford Athletic Club. With the victory, the Colonials improved to 3-7 overall.
"Today, the things we've been working on in practice started to come together," GW head coach Dawn Buth said. "All three doubles team showed great improvements and we hope to carry this momentum through our last two matches and into the A-10 Tournament."
After sweeping the doubles point, GW sealed the win with five straight-set singles victories. Junior Anastasia Skavronskaia (Miami, FL) earned a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 1, while freshman Kendall Swenson (Shaker Heights, OH) downed Jackie Hughes, 6-2, 6-3 at second singles.
In addition, freshman Michelle Alexander (Charlotte, NC) needed three sets to top Andrea Sailer at No. 3, while classmate Tracy Stecko (Lake Forest, IL) and sophomore Anne Watkins (Naples, FL) each won their second straight matches at fifth and sixth singles, respectively, to lead the Colonials to their first A-10 victory of the season.
GW (3-7, 1-3 A-10) returns to action when it hosts American on Thursday, April 7, at 2:30 p.m. at the Montclair Country Club in Monclair, VA.GW 6, Duquesne 1
1. SKAVRONSKAIA/SWENSON (GW) def. Hughes/McNamara, 8-4
2. ALEXANDER/WATKINS (GW) def. Bezjak/Wagner, 8-2
3. FRISCH/WOODARD (GW) def. Shanahan/McDermott, 8-5
1. Anastasia Skavronskaia (GW) def. Johanna Bezjak, 6-3, 6-3
2. Kendall Swenson (GW) def. Jackie Hughes, 6-2, 6-3
3. Michelle Alexander (GW) def. Andrea Sailer, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
4. Sarah Shanahan def. Sevla Gonca (GW), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5)
5. Tracy Stecko (GW) def. Alicia McNamara, 6-2, 6-0
6. Anne Watkins (GW) def. Ciara McDermott, 6-0, 6-0