Women's Tennis Suffers 4-1 Setback Against Massachusetts
Sophomore Kendall Swenson Posts Straight-Set Win at No. 2 Singles
April 10, 2006
MONTCLAIR, VA - The George Washington University women's tennis team fell to Massachusetts, 4-1, Saturday afternoon in Atlantic 10 Conference action at Montclair Country Club. Sophomore Kendall Swenson (Shaker Heights, OH) won in straight sets at No. 2 to post the Colonials' lone point.
The Minutewomen captured the doubles point and won 3-of-4 singles matches to clinch the victory. Singles matches at No. 3 and No. 4 were not finished as UMass had travel obligations to attend to and the match was already in its favor.
The Colonials (4-8, 1-4 A-10) are back in action when they travel to American on Thursday, April 13, for a 2:30 p.m. match against the Eagles.UMass 4, GW 1
1. SIMUNIC/SKAVRONSKAIA (GW) def Pozar/Spiess - 8-7 (7-4)
2. Johnson/Iwanowics def SWENSON/STECKO (GW) - 8-6
3. Gimenez/Bartoloni def JHA/FRISCH (GW) - 8-2
1. Spiess def Anastasia Skavronskaia (GW) - 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Kendall Swenson (GW) def Pozar - 6-4, 6-4
3. Sandra Simunic (GW) vs Johnson - 4-5 Did not finish
4. Tracy Stecko (GW) vs Iwanowicz - 4-0 Did not finish
5. Giminez def Madhuri Jha (GW) - 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. Bartoloni def Mara Frisch (GW) - 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-1