Women's Tennis Falls at James Madison, 5-2
Anastasia Skavronskaia, Anne Watkins record straight-set singles victories
April 10, 2005
HARRISONBURG, VA - The George Washington University women's tennis team fell at James Madison, 5-2, in non-conference action in its regular season finale on Sunday, April 10. Junior Anastasia Skavronskaia (Miami, FL) won her second straight match at first singles to lead the Colonials.
"We started off slow in the doubles today and it really cost us in the end," GW head coach Dawn Buth said. "JMU did an excellent job of counter-punching in the singles and we were just a bit too impatient."
The Dukes earned the first point of the contest by sweeping the doubles point. Skavronskaia and freshman Kendall Swenson (Shaker Heights, OH) narrowly lost at first doubles, falling 9-8 (4).
Skavronskaia led the way in singles action with a straight-set 6-1, 6-4 victory at the top spot over Kristen Veith, while sophomore Anne Watkins (Naples, FL) notched her fourth consecutive win at the sixth spot with a 7-6 (4), 6-2 triumph to complete the Colonials' scoring.
GW (4-8) returns to action when it travels to College Park, MD, for the 2005 Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship, April 22-24, at The Tennis Center at College Park.James Madison 5, GW 2
1. Veith/Vanderelst def. SKAVRONSKAIA/SWENSON (GW), 9-8 (4)
2. Napier/Nordstrom def. ALEXANDER/WATKINS (GW), 8-6
3. Reyher/Graham def. GONCA/STECKO (GW), 8-1
1. Anastasia Skavronskaia (GW) def. Veith, 6-1, 6-4
2. Nordstrom def. Kendall Swenson (GW), 6-3, 6-0
3. Vanderelst def. Michelle Alexander (GW), 6-3, 6-4
4. Reyher def. Tracy Stecko (GW), 3-6, 7-6(6), 1-0(8)
5. Napier def. Natasha Bode (GW), 6-4, 6-2
6. Anne Watkins (GW) def. Graham, 7-6(4), 6-2