Women's Tennis Tops Fordham, 5-1, at A-10 Championship
Colonials defeat Rams in consolation play to earn spot in Sunday's fifth-place match
April 23, 2005
COLLEGE PARK, MD - Led by junior Anastasia Skavronskaia's (Miami, FL) second win in as many days at first singles, the fifth-seeded George Washington women's tennis team defeated seventh-seeded Fordham, 5-1, on Saturday in consolation play at the 2005 Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship at The Tennis Center. With the victory, the Colonials earn a spot in Sunday's fifth-place match where they will meet sixth-seeded Dayton.
The first point of the match was a battle, but GW succeeded in winning the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead with wins at the second and third positions, respectively. Freshman Tracy Stecko (Lake Forest, IL) and Sevla Gonca (Ankara, Turkey) won their third consecutive match at No. 3 with an 8-4 victory.
GW sealed the win in singles action led by Skavronskaia's 6-3, 7-6 (5) triumph over Ellanora Featherston at the top spot. In addition, freshman Michelle Alexander (Charlotte, NC), Stecko and senior Natasha Bode (Paradise Valley, AZ) each recorded straight-set victories at the fourth through sixth positions to lead the Colonials.
The Colonials return to action on Sunday, April 24, when they face sixth-seeded Dayton, who defeated eighth-seeded Duquesne, 4-2, on Saturday, in the fifth-place match at 8 a.m. at The Tennis Center.#5 GW 5, #7 Fordham 1
1. Papa/Featherston (FOR) def. Skavronskaia/Swenson (GW) - 8-4
2. Alexander/Watkins (GW) def. Sandor/Spignor (FOR) - 8-6
3. Gonca/Stecko (GW) def. Murray/Vulin (FOR) - 8-4
1. Anastasia Skavronskaia (GW) def. Featherston (FOR) - 6-3, 7-6 (5)
2. Sandra Simunic (GW) vs. Papa (FOR) - 6-3, 5-3 - (DNF)
3. Kendall Swenson (GW) vs. Sandor (FOR) - 6-4, 5-4 - (DNF)
4. Michelle Alexander (GW) def. Vulin (FOR) - 6-3, 6-1
5. Tracy Stecko (GW) def. Spignor (FOR) - 6-4, 6-2
6. Natasha Bode (GW) def. Murray (FOR) - 6-1, 6-1