Sept. 16, 2011
Delaware Box Score | Saint Joseph's Box Score
TOWSON, Md. – The George Washington women’s tennis team opened the 2011 fall season on a high note Friday with two victories on the first day of the Tiger Classic hosted by Towson University. GW defeated Delaware, 3-2, early Friday afternoon, followed by a 3-2 decision over Atlantic 10 rival Saint Joseph’s.
GW’s 3-2 win over Delaware was hard-fought and featured several close matches. In doubles action, sophomore Leah Pascarella and junior Lorena Valente fell to Delaware’s Olivia Heim and Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom by close scores. Pascarella and Valente fell behind 6-2 in the first set but came back in the second set to win 7-5. The duo was edged in the tie-breaker, 13-11.
In the No. 1 singles spot, junior Mimi Hamling fell to the Blue Hens’ Samantha Carnall by scores of 7-5, 6-3, but the Colonials swept the remainder of action throughout the match.
Sophomore Julia Blakeley defeated UD’s Dorothy Safron 7-6, 6-4 in the No. 2 spot, and senior Jacqueline Corba won a convincing 6-2, 6-1 decision over Kimberly Milla in the No. 3 match. Sophomore Isabella Escobar capped off the afternoon with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Amanda Halstrom in the No. 4 slot.
Later in the evening, GW took on conference foe Saint Joseph’s and came away with another 3-2 victory. Seniors Meg Tyner and Corba fell in the first set, 7-5, to Hawks’ duo Lauren Roy and Devi Jadeja, but bounced back with wins in the second (6-2) and third (10-3) sets to capture the point for the Colonials.
In No. 3 singles action, junior Dorota Lysienia glided to a 6-3, 6-3 win over Saint Joseph’s Katie Mulquin. In the No. 4 spot, senior Zoe Krohn hung a 6-1, 6-1 defeat on SJU's Lauren Matz to cap the 3-2 triumph for GW.
The Colonials return to action on Saturday for day two of the Tiger Classic. GW faces Mary Washington at 11:00 a.m., followed by George Mason at 1:00 p.m. and host Towson at 5:00 p.m.
George Washington 3, Delaware 2
1. Olivia Heim/Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) def. Leah Pascarella/Lorena Valente (GW) 6-2, 7-5, 13-11 (Tie Breaker)
1. Samantha Carnall (UD) def. Mimi Hamling (GW) 7-5, 6-3
2. Julia Blakeley (GW) def. Dorothy Safron (UD) 7-6, 6-4
3. Jacqueline Corba (GW) def. Kimberly Milla (UD) 6-2, 6-1
4. Isabella Escobar (GW) def. Amanda Halstrom (UD) 6-0, 6-3
George Washington, 3, Saint Joseph's
1. Meg Tyner/Jacqueline Corba (GW) def. Lauren Roy/Devi Jadeja (SJU) 5-7, 6-2, 10-3
1. Casey Robinson (SJU) def. Leah Pascarella (GW) 6-3, 6-3
2. Aurora Davis (SJU) def. Lorena Valente (GW) 6-7 (5), 7-6 (3), 9-11
3. Dorota Lysienia (GW) def. Katie Mulquin (SJU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Zoe Krohn (GW) def. Lauren Matz (SJU) 6-1, 6-1