George Washington Women's Tennis Opens Season at Princeton Quad Tournament
Colonials Gain Valuable Experience in Matches with Princeton, Penn and Columbia
Sept. 22, 2002
Princeton, NJ -- Freshman Estee Bartell's (San Diego, CA/Torrey Pines) first collegiate victory was the highlight of a tough opening weekend for the GW Women's Tennis team. Playing against stiff Ivy League competition in Princeton, Penn and Columbia at the Princeton Quad Tournament this weekend, the Colonials managed six total victories.
"The players gave great efforts against some of the tougher competition we'll face this season," explained coach Helen Andrews. "The teams we faced have excellent Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings."
Andrews also felt these matches would provide experience for this weekend's Maryland Invitational, where the Colonials will face other top teams including Richmond, Penn St. and Syracuse. The tournament will be held at the new Tennis Center at College Park, the same venue where the A-10 Championships will be held, April 17-19.
GW vs. Pennsylvania
1. Yeh(Penn) def. Wei (GW) 6-3, 6-0
2. Stanislowski (Penn) def. Gencsoy (GW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Clulei (Penn) def. Bode (GW) 5-6, 6-3 (11-9)
4. Schiffman (Penn) def. Gonca (GW) 6-1, 6-2
5. Williams (Penn) def. Bartell (GW) 6-2, 4-6 (10-7)
6. Washington (Penn) def. Fisher (GW) 6-1, 6-0
1. Yeh/Schiffman (Penn) def. Gonca/Bartell (GW) 8-1
GW vs. Princeton
1. Uberoi (P) def. Wei (GW) 6-3,6-0
2. Hashmall (P) def. Gencsoy (GW) 6-4, 2-6 (10-8)
3. McCoy (P) def. Bode (GW) 6-0, 6-4
4. Gonca (GW) def. Carlin (P) 2-6, 6-2 (12-10)
5. Meng (P) def. Bartell (GW) 6-3, 6-3
6. Change (P) def. Sunshine (GW) 6-0, 6-0
7. Fisher (GW) def. Arand (P) 4-6, 6-0 (10-7)
8. Zeronda (P) def. Sunshine (GW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Uberoi/Siebel (P) def. Gencsoy/Bode (GW) 8-2
2. Change/Hashmall (P) def. Wei/Fisher (GW) 8-3
3. Change/Hashmall (P) def. Gencsoy/Bode (GW) 9-7
GW vs. Columbia
1. Martinez (C) def. Wei (GW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Nguyen (C) def. Gencsoy (GW) 6-5, 6-1
3. Mittal (C) def. Bode (GW) 6-5, 6-5
4. Condit (C) def. Gonca (GW) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ferrer (C) def. Fisher (GW) 6-4, 6-3
6. Bartell (GW) def. Romic (C) 6-2, 4-6 (10-6)
7. Aniello (C) def. Sunshine (GW) 6-3, 6-2
1. Aniello/Mittal (C) def. Wei/Fisher (GW) 8-3
2. Gencsoy/Bode (GW) def. Ferrer/Condit (C) 8-2
3. Dimkova/Romic (C) def. Bartell/Gonca (GW) 8-3
4. Wei/Fisher (GW) def. Ferrer/condit (C) 8-3
Women's Tennis' Fall Schedule Announced
George Washington women’s tennis is slated to compete in six tournaments this fall, head coach Torrie Browning announced on Thursday.
Women’s Tennis Named ITA All-Academic Team
The George Washington women’s tennis squad has earned Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) All-Academic Team recognition for the 2016-17 season....
Catching up with Marie-Louise Decamps
A native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, women’s tennis’ Marie-Louis Decamps has always had a fascination with big cities.
Maria Siopacha Represents Cyprus at 2017 Fed Cup
George Washington women’s tennis rising junior Maria Siopacha represented her home nation of Cyprus as a member of its Fed Cup team in June.
Women's Tennis Earns ITA Community Service Award
TEMPE, Ariz. - The George Washington women's tennis team has been named the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Atlantic Region Community Service Award ...
Women's Tennis Lands Three on All-Conference Teams
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Three George Washington women's tennis student-athletes have received Atlantic 10 postseason honors, the league announced on Thursday....
Women's Tennis to Welcome Swedish Star in Fall
WASHINGTON - The George Washington women's tennis team will welcome Julia Herlogsson to the roster in the Fall 2017 semester, head coach Torrie Browning...
Women's Tennis Closes Season at A-10 Championship
ORLANDO, Fla. - The George Washington women's tennis team wrapped the 2017 season at the Atlantic 10 Championship on Wednesday afternoon at the USTA National...